Chapter Forty Seven

Arianna awoke in unfamiliar surroundings. She was in a bed, but unlike her own soft blue sheets, these sheets were a black silk. The bed hangings were black and thick outside of the mosquito net. The walls were similar to her own, but the hangings matched the room's decor. Arianna attempted to sit up, but was pushed gently back down onto the bedding.

"Rest, my child, there is no rush."
Arianna turned her head towards the woman's soothing voice. First she saw her hands, firm skin, long fingers, and an extremely large emerald ring upon the left ring finger. The large green stone set on a bed of small diamonds and they glittered in the weak sunlight. Arianna's gaze traveled up to the woman's face, she was a timeless beauty. The only evidence of her age were the silver streaks that ran from her temples to the ends of her long black curls. It was when she saw the woman's eyes that Arianna recognized her. For staring back at her from the older woman's face were a pair of eyes identical to Arianna's own.

"Mother?" She whispered.

The Duchess of Marlborough smiled at her daughter.

"Mother!" Arianna was off of the bed in a flash, almost knocking the Duchess onto the floor as she threw her arms around her and squeezed her close. Tears ran unheeded down Arianna's face, she barely heard herself as she babbled on about how much she had missed her. The Duchess held her daughter to her chest for the first time in fifteen years, since she had been a small child of six. The last fifteen years with their hardships and horrors seemed to melt away. The Duchess felt rejuvenated, as the scar tissue around her heart began to peel away, allowing her daughter in once more.

"Listen, daughter." The Duchess smiled at Arianna, as she gently moved her, so that they sat before one another on the bed, tears dampened both of their cheeks, "That sick man will use you in any way he can. You must get off of this island and back to England where your father can protect you."

"I will not go without you, Mother."

The Duchess pushed a stray lock of hair behind her daughter's ear and caressed her cheek gently, wiping away some of her daughter's tears. A smile broken slightly by her own emotion crossed the Duchess' features. "I do not plan on being left behind."

Arianna squeaked with joy and grabbed her mother close once more. The tears fell freely from both women's faces as they celebrated their reunion.

*****

Alejandro pulled his wife closer, careful of her wounds, kissing her sweet lips. Tears still fell from her eyes, but a smile bowed her lips. Their plan was set. She and her son would be off of this island before the sun rose tomorrow.

"We will be here." She breathed against his lips, knowing that she needed to show her face in the house, but not yet ready to step out of her husband's embrace.

Carmelita stepped back, wiping the tears from her eyes. Alejandro squeezed her hand one last time, watching her as she walked away from him. She turned at the last moment, before she would step out of sight, drinking in the sight of him, knowing it had to be enough for the next few hours. She had a job to complete. She needed to get her son and keep him safe until his lordship was retired in his chambers.

Carmelita climbed the stairs to the house, slipping from the door into the hall. Thankfully, no one was about to see her pitiful state. Her dress stuck to her wounds, and she could feel them still bleeding. She paused with a moment's indecision. Margaret usually cleaned her wounds, but she was assigned to Lady Kent's rooms.

But Lady Kent was missing, therefore would not be in attendance in her rooms. She could borrow Margaret and no one would be the wiser.
With this plan in mind, Carmelita climbed the stairs as quickly as she could without causing herself undue pain. She reached the landing of the second floor without incident. However, when she reached the landing of the third floor, her ladyship's door opened. Carmelita stood frozen on the stairs. She was afraid his lordship would step out into the hallway to question her as to why she was only now returning to her rooms to clean up after her punishment. Cold sweat covered her brow at the thought of returning to the dungeons.

To her relief 'twas only the Lady Kent who stepped out into the hallway.
Arianna turned around, sensing a presence behind her, gasping when she saw Carmelita.

"Oh, my. What happened? Are you alright?" Arianna's eyes were as round as saucers as she stared at the streaks of blood that covered Carmelita's bodice.

"Hurry to your chambers, my lady, I shall tell you, but neither of us should be seen here."

Arianna's eyes lifted to Carmelita's, "Aye, can I help you?"

"Nay, just keep the door open."

Carmelita followed after Arianna, much slower than the younger woman, entering the room before Margaret closed the door once more.

"Let me help ya, Miss Cammie, I got me basket right here." Margaret said, she moved to the small area she had set up for her infant, retrieving her basket.

"Christina, will ya get me a fresh bucket of water and cloths? And have water put on to warm for the Lady's bath." Margaret called, as she moved back to Carmelita and inspected the blood soaked dress.

"Aye." Christina answered as she moved to the door and exited quickly.

"He must'a been mighty mad ta draw blood, Miss Cammie." Margaret said as she shook her head, a sorrowful expression crossing her features.

"Aye, he was."

"Bailey did this to you?" Arianna asked, barely above a whisper.

"Aye," Carmelita answered. "He drugged your wine, my lady. He thought that I warned you not to drink it." A sad smile crossed her face and she shrugged, "I would have, had I known, but I did not."

Arianna's mouth fell open a small degree. "I am so sorry, Carmelita. I did drink the wine, but Alejandro saved me. They are on the island."

"Who is Alejandro?" Margaret asked.
Both Arianna and Carmelita's eyes grew large as they looked at the slave girl.

What would they tell her?