Chapter Forty One

Derek and Alejandro had finally found a path that had looped up and around to open out into an orchard. Once they knew that they were safe from the rising tide, and had an exit to the outside world, they had backtracked through the winding path until they found an anteroom that was mostly hidden. It was not a large room, but it 'twas large and safe enough for them to unroll their bedrolls and catch a few hours rest.

They had been settled here for half of an hour and Derek was fairly certain Alejandro slept. He, however, could not. His first mate's words from the cavern echoed in his head. Is saving Lady Kent still your priority? Aye, it 'twas, but that did not mean he did not plan to capture Bailey as well. He would like nothing better than to hold Arianna in his arms once more, but watching Bailey's terror at finding himself bound and defenseless would bring him great pleasure as well.

Nerves and tension kept his body poised and stiff. He knew not how he was supposed to sleep with worry, fear, anger, determination, and exhilaration all flowing through his veins, but he also knew he would be no good to Arianna without rest. Derek fluffed his cloak once more, repositioning his head upon it. He closed his eyes and tried to clear his mind, but 'twas still a long time before sleep overtook him.

*****
The sun rose over the Caribbean island the next morning with a wave of heat, warming everything it touched. Carmelita basked in its warmth as it poured in the kitchen windows. She had been up early this morning, helping Cook with breakfast and organizing the other slaves with their duties for the day. Her mood was light this morning. Her talk with the American last eve had watered that seed of hope she had felt in her chest, this morning it was a fragile seedling, peeking up into her conscious thoughts, whispering that there had to be a way.

Carmelita had disclosed details about the house, not even his lordship knew that she knew. He had been inspired by the information she had given him, he had asked her to return the following night to discus the plan he would come up with. She had told him of the information she had gained from Lady Kent, and about her son as well. He had informed her, that Lady Kent could be trusted with their plan, and would be an enthusiastic participant should she be needed.

Bailey came strolling in to the kitchens and Carmelita nearly dropped the spoon she was scrambling the eggs with.

"Cook, I will have need of a picnic basket after breakfast. Send enough for two."

"Yes, suh." The large dark skinned woman answered.

"And pack wineglasses as well. I will supply the bottle."

"Yes, suh."

He turned towards the doors, taking a few steps towards them before he saw Carmelita at the stove. "Cammie, the American was pleased with your attention last eve. Take an hour after luncheon to enjoy your son. You have earned the break, my dear."

"Yes, sir." Carmelita replied, shocked by his generosity. He had never before, in the last ten years, given her leave to abandon her duties.

"And Cammie, inform Lady Kent that I require her company after breakfast."

"Yes, sir." Carmelita echoed again.

He continued his stride and exited the kitchens. After the portal had settled back into the frame, Carmelita lifted her eyes to cook.

"Michael told me his lordship visited the young lady's rooms last night. Mayhap he was pleased with her attention too, eh?"

Carmelita's eyes widened and a shudder shook her frame. She knew just how sickening pleasing his lordship with one's attention could be. Carmelita glanced down at the eggs she was stirring and realized that she was about to burn them. She quickly lifted them from the wood stove, dishing them into the serving bowl.

"Cook, I hope you do not mind if I take a tray up to our guest to see how she fares this morning."

The round woman cackled gleefully. "Take 'er some of the ointment too, Miss Cammie. Such a young one might need it."

"Aye," Carmelita blushed. She quickly loaded a tray from the breakfast cart, set a place for tea and hurried from the kitchens before Cook could add to her statement.

Carmelita rapped lightly upon the door to Lady Kent's chambers. Margaret pulled the door open, her babe in her arms, her face and throat horribly bruised. The girl would not lift her eyes to Carmelita as she stepped back and allowed her to enter. Carmelita's heart ached for the girl, who had obviously been horribly used, only two weeks after giving birth. She wanted to reach out and hold the girl, but she knew it would only make it harder for them both.

Carmelita tore her eyes from the battered and bruised girl and moved to the second door, rapping lightly before she moved inside. Lady Kent stood facing the mirror in a dressing gown, she turned and smiled when she saw Carmelita enter the room. She looked no worse for wear after his lordship's visit.

"Good morning, Lady Kent. Did you sleep well?"

"Yes, I did, Carmelita. Please call me Arianna, at least when no others are about."

Carmelita smiled and nodded as she took the tray to the table and began to set out Arianna's breakfast. Once she was done she turned and spotted Christina sitting against the wall. Arianna's gown and undergarments were placed upon the neatly made bed.

"You may go help Margaret with the babe, Christina. I have time to help Lady Kent dress."

"Yes, Miss Cammie." The girl quickly bowed to Arianna and then did as she was directed.

Arianna had moved across the room to inspect the feast that Carmelita had spread across the table. She turned to Carmelita, "Have you broken your fast?"

"Nay, the slaves eat after the Lord and Lady."

"Since we are alone, would you help me finish this feast?"

Carmelita glanced between the food and Arianna. They were alone. What harm could be done? It would give Carmelita the chance to speak with her.

"Aye, if you wish it, I shall."

"Splendid." Arianna smiled as she slipped into a chair at the table, Carmelita took the opposite.

"I spoke with Mr. Bell last eve, he informed me of your partnership with him."

Arianna paused, a bite of melon half way to her mouth. A wary light flitted through her green eyes, "He did?"

"Aye, and I told him of the hidden exits that lead out of the house."

"You did?" Arianna asked, the wary glint gone, an astonished one taking its place.

"Aye," Carmelita laughed. "But I have one condition if I am to aid in your escape."

"And that would be?" Arianna asked, finally remembering to take the bite she held suspended.

"Roman and I come with you."

Arianna smiled and nodded enthusiastically, "Oh, Carmelita. Of course you will! Alejandro might have my head if I leave you here a day longer than necessary."

Carmelita buttered a piece of toast as she smiled, thinking once again of her long lost love. An excited yet nervous energy built within her, what would it be like to stand face to face with him after all these years? Would he still want her once he saw the scars she had acquired?

"Oh," Carmelita broke from her thoughts, "Last night I came here with a message for you, there is a Lady here that you must meet. His lordship has been very clear that the meeting is forbidden, but she demands that I defy him and bring you to her."

Arianna's curiosity was peaked. "Who is she?"

Carmelita shrugged, "I have known her as nothing other than her ladyship these last ten years. I will come for you after his lordship retires and take you to her."

"Does she mean me ill?" Arianna asked, Thomas's warning to trust no one resurfacing in her mind. As much as she felt she could trust Carmelita, she did not know her very well.

"Nay, Lady." Carmelita smiled sincerely.

"Alright, then I shall await you this evening." Arianna smiled back as she pushed away the toast she had been nibbling on.

Carmelita stood from the table and began to collect the dishes back onto the tray, leaving the tea where Arianna had placed it. "His lordship requires your presence. He requested a picnic basket from Cook, I believe he will take you for an outing."

Arianna sighed heavily. "Then perhaps you had better help me dress after all."

*****

Derek was awoken by whistling that morning. It sounded as if the whistler was standing above him. Before he even opened his eyes, he reached for his blade, unsheathing it as he came to a crouch. Alejandro sat against the rock wall, unconcerned, whittling upon a stick.

"There are workers in the orchard." Alejandro quietly informed his captain, as Derek slipped the dagger back into it's sheath. Derek relaxed back against the stone wall and attempted to rub the stiffness from his neck.

"Once they move off, we need to explore the island, find a way into the house without raising anyone's interest."

"Aye." Alejandro replied.