Chapter Seventy Eight

Arianna awoke from a mid-afternoon nap upon a crate, once more dressed in her breeches and loose shirt. Her hair flowed loose about her in the cool English breeze, as the call rang out that land had been sighted. Pushing herself up onto her elbows, she turned towards the bow and blinked the sleep from her eyes to see the dark cloud like shape that must be land.

"We won't make port 'till the morrow, Countess," a passing crewman informed her with an affectionate smile, "We still havt'a make the channel first." He finished, before lifting his fingers to his brow as if touching the rim of an imaginary hat. As he moved away, Arianna found herself contemplating the last month.

It seemed surreal that she had been married a month. The smile upon her face and the glow of a happy, fulfilled woman that hung about her were testimony to the fact. Turning herself the other way, she glanced to the helm, spotting her husband and his first mate.

As if sensing her eyes upon him, Derek turned mid conversation to catch her eye, sending a knowing wink her way.

A heat spread through her body to reside low in her stomach as she answered with a sultry smile, thinking back to fondly remember her first week of marriage. Neither ship, the Kathleen, nor The Lady, had lifted anchor for seven whole days. Nor had Arianna or Derek been exposed to direct sunlight for that entire time.

Nor, Arianna remembered with a smile, had her husband hardly allowed her to don more than his shirt for the length of time. And when he had, it was only because someone had needed access to the cabin.

The Captain's cabin, that had been purely masculine when she had arrived, was now suited to them both. Her clothing and toiletries now had a home within her husband's domain.

She smiled, remembering him picking up her corset and stockings and turning to her with a questioning look. She had laughed, taking them from him. She had placed them in one of the drawers he had emptied for her before the wedding. She loved sharing a space with him. Being able to watch him shave in front of the washstand, a towel around his middle, his chest fully exposed. Hers to see and touch any time she liked. And she liked to, a lot.

Derek, she found, was a most persuasive lover. Having absolutely no complaints there, well, then again, perhaps she resented that they had not had two weeks to lay at anchor. That thought coaxed a sleepy smile to reside upon her face.

Once they had resumed their journey, it had become a nightly occurrence to lay anchor close to the Kathleen. The Duke and Duchess would join them for dinner, or vise versa, and they would all engage in an activity afterwards. Cards were the usual, except when they occasionally played Kathleen's latest favorite game of dice every now and then to add diversity.

The time with her parents had been wonderful. To see them together as if newlywed also; it was the only way she could think of to describe them; they seemed to always have to be touching one another. Even when sparring over card points, or who remembered things correctly from the past, they did so in a way that conveyed they enjoyed each and every exchange.

Her father had wanted to hear of all their experiences, some of which made him laugh, others had him holding his breath with a troubled frown upon his brow in anticipation of the endings. When the conversation had led to his time on the island, he had brought out the letters, as quite a few of them had been written to Arianna.

That had been an emotional evening, for both Arianna and Kathleen. However, it served to cement the bond between them that had been growing over the past few weeks. The letters were beautiful, but heart wrenching. Many times Arianna had stopped reading as she could not see through her tears. Kathleen had held her and recounted her happy memories from when Arianna was little, of tea parties and dressing up, of kittens in the barn and her brother William with his first pony.
Every time William was mentioned Arianna could see the pain in her mother's eyes. Will was the only thing missing that would have made their time together perfect.

And now, she was so very close to seeing her beloved brother.

William had always been a big part of his sister's life. He had always been there to tease and torment her when she was happy, and he had proven to be her fiercest ally when she was wronged. Arianna found she missed his easy smile and his carefree ways. She wondered if her relationship with her brother would be different now that she was married. She certainly hoped not.

The excitement at the prospect of seeing him again had Arianna jumping up to go join Derek and Alejandro. She smiled broadly, thinking how she could not wait for William to meet them, even though that was overshadowed by the thought of the Duchess getting her hands on her firstborn.

Arianna grinned as she bounced down from the crate on her bare feet. She could only imagine her mother's reaction to her first glimpse of William as a full grown man. A smirk crossed her face as she wondered how her mother would react to the kind of man her brother had become.

She wondered what new exaggerations the ton would be spreading about him now. 'Twas almost every other week that the rumor mills had him 'practically engaged' to this young debutant or that lovely widow. They also claimed he had a stable of mistresses, though the exact number always varied. Arianna knew her brother was no saint but she did not believe a tenth of the stories bandied about.

As she ascended to the helm, Arianna's eyes and thoughts turned once again to her husband; her husband; her heart still swelled almost painfully within her chest every time the word crossed her mind.

"Good evening, my love. How was your nap?"

"Hmm.." Arianna nodded to Alejandro and smiled to Carmelita who sat close by hosting a reading lesson for Roman and a few of the cabin boys, Mickey included. "I had not meant to fall asleep, but I feel much better for the rest."
A smirk lifted the corner of Alejandro's lips and he quickly busied himself with the open charts, hiding amusement behind a concentrated frown.

"And why, my Spanish friend," Arianna asked with a smile of her own, "Are you so amused?"

"Who, me?" Alejandro asked, attempting an innocent expression.

Derek spoke up quickly, "We will put into port early tomorrow afternoon, my love. Are you excited to see your brother? Did your father say if he will send him word this eve?"

Alejandro looked gratefully to his captain. The Spaniard did not want to explain that he could easily understand Arianna's lack of rest due to her newly married state.

Arianna eyed both men suspiciously, but she decided to answer Derek's rapidly fired questions anyway, "Yes, I am excited, and no, my father did not say. What amused.." Derek cut her question short.

"Perhaps we shall ask him tonight, my love."

Arianna still wore the suspicious expression, but she decided that if Derek did not want her informed as to what so amused the Spaniard now, she would simply make him tell her in the privacy of their cabin later.

"Do you plan on laying anchor in the channel, captain?" Alejandro asked, once more the picture of feigned innocence.

"Nay," Derek replied, "let us lay anchor early this eve off of the Isles of Scilly and we can traverse the channel in the early morn when the waters are more calm. That should put us at the mouth of the Thames shortly after noon."

Derek turned to Arianna, "Perhaps we can send Mickey ashore to fetch some fresh lobsters for supper, my love?"

"That would be wonderful!" She exclaimed.

Her smile coaxed an answering one from Derek and he stepped close to loop his arms about her waist, "Perhaps we might dine alone in our cabin tonight, wife?"

Arianna's eyes sparkled up into her husband's as she looped her arms about his neck, "I would adore that, husband."

*****

Anchors had been dropped and the Lady and the Kathleen were once more moored together. Some of the crewmen and cabin boys from each ship had rowed into the various Isles of Scilly to either purchase fresh ingredients for the cooks or to spend their time as they would.

Arianna had elected to spend some time with her parents as she doubted that either she or Derek would be seen above deck after they retired for supper.
With a small, secretive smile Arianna turned to the Duke, "I'm sorry, father, what did you ask me?"

The Duke mirrored his daughter's expression, "I asked if Trent made you happy, daughter, but if your distracted state is anything to go by, I can see that he does."

Arianna answered her father truthfully, "I could not ask for more in a husband, father. He is kind, attentive, and impossibly romantic." She stopped, a small blush staining her cheeks, "I am more than content with him, father."

The Duke chuckled, "Then I am forgiven for the betrothal?"

"Aye, father, you are completely forgiven." Arianna laughed as she hugged her father.

The Duke pulled back from the embrace mumbling something about Captain Daniels and he moved away leaving Arianna and Kathleen alone together.
Arianna's eyes left her father to settle on her mother.

"Enjoy it, my dear. Just like I am." Kathleen chuckled.

"Enjoy what, mother?"

Kathleen speared her daughter with a meaningful look. "Enjoy how easy and joyous your relationship is at the moment. They do not call relationships work for no reason. There will come a day when everything is not kind words and roses. When they come, be grateful for the misunderstandings and difficult times because they will make the good times that much sweeter."

Arianna simply stared at her mother wondering what had brought on such a change of subject.

"You will remember my words one day, my darling, and you will find them to be true. Just remember to never go to bed angry and never refuse to talk things out."

"Do you know of something I do not, mother?" Arianna finally found her voice.

"Nay, daughter," the Duchess laughed, a hand extending to rest upon her daughter's arm, "I do not mean to worry you, only to share what I have learned. Now, I do believe your husband is looking for you, dearest, go, enjoy your evening." If possible the Duchess' smile widened, "I am off to find your father so that we may enjoy ours."

Kathleen pressed a kiss to her daughter's cheek and moved off in the same direction the Duke had gone.

Arianna watched her mother go skeptically. Was there something the matter in her parent's relationship that the Duchess had felt the need to share her advice, and, in the process, hear the spoken words herself? Arianna truly hoped not. When the duchess left her sight, Arianna turned and made her way back to the Lady. As she stepped down off of the gangplanks Alejandro materialized at her side.

"Countess, your husband awaits you in your quarters."

Arianna grinned, "Thank you, Alejandro."

"De nada, Señora." The Spaniard bowed to her before he moved off towards the helm.

Arianna turned and hurried to the cabin she shared with her husband.

*****

Alejandro and Carmelita reclined side by side leaning back on on a stack of coiled ropes. They gazed towards land enjoying the evening lights twinkling in the towns that reflected on the water. Truly, it was beautiful to look upon even though the thought of England sent a chill down Alejandro's back. Neither he nor Derek had set foot upon England's soil for a very long time.

He focused on his wife, he had his arm around her shoulders and he trailed his fingertips up and down her lower arm and hand. Every once in a while she would grab his fingertips and bring them to her lips to press a kiss on them. Earlier, Alejandro had brought his lute on deck and started playing a song for Carmelita and Roman. He had raised his brows in surprise at his wife, when his son had suddenly dashed below decks. Alejandro had continued playing however, until a moment later, another lute joined him. He saw his son coming up the steps playing his own lute, a smaller version of his father's instrument.

Carmelita was filled with love and admiration as the two played off each other, winding the tunes together, creating a magical musical that warmed her to her toes. She sat up rubbing her arms as the breeze was cool and goosebumps had risen on her skin. She listened as the two men she loved wove a spell over the entire ship. She saw a few cabin boys come to the rail from the main deck to watch them play through the railing.

They had switched from song to song so incredibly seamlessly, it was as if they had been playing together for years. Alejandro had finally set his down and joined his wife to lie under the stars and enjoy their son's skills upon his solitary lute.

"He is very good." Alejandro spoke softly to his wife, planting a kiss upon her brow.

"Aye, I told him once that it was something you enjoyed and he became determined to master it after that." Carmelita replied, pressing an answering kiss of her own against her husband's cheek.

Alejandro smiled and stretched an arm behind his wife's shoulders bringing her closer. This evening would be perfect if he could only untie the knot of dread that resided in his abdomen.

*****

Derek and Arianna were in culinary heaven, Cook had shown his appreciation of the fresh supplies to be had, and they were reaping the benefits. As Arianna closed her lips around a stalk of asparagus dripping with hollandaise sauce, she closed her eyes, savoring the fresh delicious vegetable.

Derek smiled at her enjoyment and followed her lead. They both closed their eyes to better appreciate the fine flavor when the music began.

Derek cocked his head recognizing Alejandro's lute and smiled. He walked over to the window and opened it wide so they could better hear the impromptu concert.

When they heard the second lute join in they looked at each other in surprise.

"Who could that be?" Arianna wondered aloud.

"I'm not really sure. I know of no other who has Alejandro's skills upon the lute, and whoever it is, is almost as good as he. We shall have to remember to ask upon the morrow." Derek answered.

"Aye, we must." Arianna smiled, as she took a last bite of buttered lobster and pushed her plate away. Derek did the same.

Arianna began tidying their dishes while Derek rolled himself a cheroot. Once he finished, Derek refilled their wine glasses and took them with him as he moved to sit upon the window seat to smoke, beckoning his wife to join him.

"Come, love, let me hold you."

Arianna did not hesitate to let the remainder of the dishes lay where they would as she placed herself within her husband's reach.

Derek leaned back into the alcove and pulled his wife to him until her back rested against his chest. Together they sat, sipping wine, and enjoying the music that flowed down to them from the deck.