Chapter Eighty Five

Damien lead his daughter in law from the conference with the King back to the ball. Every last member of their party was quiet and subdued after the King's condition for Alejandro's release.

The King had decreed that Alejandro would be set free by Arianna after the ball, as long as Alejandro agreed to the conditions. However, for appearances sake, Arianna, as well as her parents and in laws, were not to leave Lady Harrison's before the twelfth hour.

As they stepped back into the ballroom, Damien took Ravenwood's example, as the younger man lead his mother out to dance.

"Might I have this dance, Countess." Damien inquired of his son's beautiful wife.

"Aye," Arianna smiled and nodded, as she allowed him to lead her to the center of the floor, and take her in his arms. "Tell me of your meeting with Derek." She pleaded, allowing her dimples to deepen in her cheeks.

"He was very concerned for you." Damien informed her.

"How did he look? Has he been mistreated?" Anxiety filled her eyes as she stared into the blue orbs of her father in law.

"Nay, he has not been..." Damien's eyes lifted above Arianna's head, a grin stole across his face, sending a pain through her heart with it's familiarity.

"May I cut in?"

Arianna gasped, as she spun to the owner of the familiar voice that had spoken behind her.

And there he was, her handsome sea captain, her husband.

"Derek!" Arianna cried, throwing her arms about his shoulders. "Oh, I have missed you terribly, my love! Are you well, were.."

"I am fine, now that I see your face, my love." Derek chuckled, as he cut into her excited babble and loosened his hold on her, so that she leaned back in his arms.

"Now, Arianna." Derek admonished, watching her eyes flick to his lips. "There are many eyes about. We would not want them to call our arranged marriage a love match, now would we?"

Arianna laughed as she pulled his face down to hers, "Let them say what they want."

Derek sealed his lips to his wife's for the first time in a week with no concern for their avidly attentive audience.

Damien waved to the musicians who quickly quit their tune. In the silence left by the lack of music, Damien called to the crowd, "Ladies and gentleman!"

All in attendance quit trying to hide their interest and looked openly to the Marquess, "Might I have the honor to formally introduce to you, my son, The Earl, and his new Countess of Trent!"

The ladies clapped and the men whistled as Lady Harrison waved to her musicians to start a new tune.

Derek and Arianna broke their kiss on a laugh, and despite her words, a blush stole across Arianna's cheeks as she and Derek turned to their audience with a bow and a curtsy.

Derek lead his wife to the middle of the now empty floor and lead her in the familiar steps of the dance. After a few moments, others began to join them and Arianna took the moment of privacy to fill her husband in on the King's decree concerning Alejandro.

As the dance concluded, Derek began to lead his wife off of the floor when Whitley, Lady Harrison's butler, cleared his throat from the landing at the top of the staircase.

Arianna's eyes found Lady Harrison next to her mother, and from the Lady's expression, it was clear she had not been expecting any more guests so late in the evening.

"His Majesty, The King!" Whitley called down.

A silence fell over the buzzing room once more, broken only by the sound of Lady Harrison's limp form crumbling to the floor.

*****

"I do hope Lady Harrison is alright." The King spoke a pair of hours later on the front step of the townhouse as they awaited their carriages.

"I do believe that she will be more than simply fine for some time to come, Sire." The Duke of Marlborough chuckled as he reached into his pocket and withdrew his box of cigars. He first offered one to the King, then Damien, followed by Will, and lastly to Derek.

Derek hesitated as he reached for a cigar. The memory of Alejandro's fun on his and Arianna's wedding night causing an idea to form.

"Might I take two, your Grace? I would like to take one for my first mate as well."

"Aye," the Duke smiled around his own cigar, "And if you would extend my gratitude to the man, I would be much obliged."

"Of course, your Grace." Derek grinned as he pocketed one cigar and lit another.

"Your days with the sea for a mistress are over then, Trent?" The King asked, causing a blush to cover Arianna's cheeks as she leaned into her husband's side.

"Aye," Derek chuckled, "Unless my wife decrees otherwise."

The men around them laughed uproariously at Derek's implication that Arianna, luckily, did not catch.

"I am trusting you to keep him from trouble then, Countess." The King spoke with a kind smile.

"I intend to, Sire." Arianna spoke to the monarch but her eyes lifted lovingly to her husband.

Will burst into hearty laughter. "I would give the Earl the same warning, my King."

The monarch chuckled as he looked to Will. "I suppose you are right, Ravenwood. From what I have seen, she is very much like your mother, and that woman can rival nature herself in her fury."

Kathleen chuckled at her husband's side sending a wink to their King.

Derek noted their hired hack approaching and they said their goodbyes.

"Should we wait up for you?" Will asked, an amused glint in his eye.
"Nay," Derek replied to his brother in law with a grin of his own, "I would prefer you did not."

******************************
Alejandro heard the sound of tapping heels approaching him, he welcomed the sound, and the sleep that accompanied it. This was the sixth night he had been in this meter square cell, with barely enough room to stretch his legs while seated. The tapping drew closer, as consciousness faded, and Morpheus seemed to finally welcome Alejandro into his waiting arms. Weakness and days upon days of darkness had taken it's toll.

As the dream became more clear, Alejandro saw the hallway outside his cell illuminated from a distant lanterns glow. The light grew stronger and stronger until it became visible. The glowing orb was suspended from none other than his captain's hand illuminating his lovely Countess at his side.

"Hola, amigos. Have you come to set me free?"

"Aye," Derek answered. "But before I can, the King decrees that you must give your word to swear fealty to him upon the morrow."

Alejandro chuckled, "I will swear fealty to a donkey if I may only return to my wife." Why not, he thought, 'twas not as if it would truly be this easy to escape the gallows. His mind was definitely twisted to offer such a simple solution during his unconscious state.

"Then I see no reason for delay." Derek stated as he nodded to Arianna.

Alejandro watched with a silly smile, half waiting for his dream friends to fade from sight. They did not, however. Arianna reached into her pocket, producing a key that was as weathered as the iron door he was locked behind, and inserted it into the lock. The lock clicked and the door swung open with a screech. Alejandro was impressed with his mind's distinct reenactment of the sound he had heard six days ago considering the silence that had engulfed him in the meantime. Despite the fact that he knew he was dreaming, Alejandro stood and joined his friends in the hallway. He knew that sooner or later, he would only awaken in his cell once more, but if the realistic dream lasted long enough for him to see his wife and son, he would go along with anything.

Alejandro pulled Arianna to him in a tight hug and was once again left with wonder at just how realistic this dream was. Why, he could even smell the fragrance of roses wafting from her hair. Releasing the Countess, Alejandro turned to his best friend and captain, and clasped his hand firmly. After their handshake and a quick embrace, Derek pulled a cigar from his pocket and offered it to his first mate.

Why not? Alejandro thought again as he took the cigar and pinched it between his teeth. Derek struck a match and Alejandro gratefully lit his smoke.

It was not until the smoke burned his lungs that Alejandro realized he was not, in fact, dreaming. But if I am not dreaming, Alejandro thought, turning to look back at the cell he had previously occupied, then his mind comprehended, he was truly free!

Excitement lit Alejandro's face and he grabbed Arianna up once more. He spun her around and around thanking them both profusely for saving him from the gallows.

"How was it managed?" Alejandro asked excitedly as he set her to her feet once more.

"Derek and the rest of the crew were released after the Admiral's footmen were caught planting stolen goods aboard the Lady. And you, my friend," Arianna grinned up into the Spaniard's handsome face, "were released after my family insisted that if the King was going to hang you, he would have to hang every one of us as well."

Alejandro stared at her incredulously for a moment, before he remembered exactly who the spirited siren who stood before him was. "Of course you did, and I thank you for it!" Alejandro pulled her close and pressed a kiss to her cheek before a grin stretched across his face.

Derek cleared his throat, reminding his friend that he, Alejandro, was pouring his gratitude out upon his, Derek's wife. Alejandro laughed and released Arianna to pull Derek into an embrace.

As the friends separated, Alejandro lifted the cigar to his lips once more. He paused before taking a puff and remembered his jest on Derek's wedding night.

"I suppose we are even then?" Alejandro asked with a sheepish grin.

"I suppose we are." Derek chuckled as he clapped his friend on the back. "Now let us go home."

"Aye, aye, captain!" Alejandro chanted with an uncontrollable grin as he followed his captain and the Countess from the Tower.

****** The End ******

** Authors Note **
Thank you all for joining me on this journey!  I hope you've enjoyed Derek and Arianna's story. 

If youre interested in catching up with Betsy and Violet's story find my mother at Jaidesmamasmama and read up on their adventures after separating from our characters here.

I will have a short epilogue for our characters here coming soon.