Chapter Forty Two

Arianna descended the stairs to find Bailey awaiting her.

"There you are, my dear. Now that I see the results of your lengthy toilette I am willing to forgive the delay."

"Do you approve, my lord?" Arianna asked, as she spun on the bottom step before him. She had chosen an emerald green and black riding habit from the wardrobe in her rooms. It was a tad bit tight, but modest in cut and Arianna had not been able to leave it for the larger, less form fitting gray one that had also been available. The emerald habit was made of velvet and trimmed with black lace. The short jacket that accompanied it was made of black velvet and trimmed in emerald lace. A small black hat accompanied the habit and green lace covered some of her coif in an attractive way.

"I do indeed, my girl. Let us be off." He smiled, taking her hand and placing his cold lips against her knuckles.

"May I ask where we are headed, my lord?" She smiled up at him, revealing the dimples in her cheeks.

He simply stared at her for a moment, Arianna wondered if she had taken her coquettish facade too far. He tore his eyes from her face and cleared his throat.

"I would like to personally take you for a tour of my island. I believe there are many fascinating attractions you may enjoy." His eyes slipped back to her face. "Last eve you said you could not agree to marrying me because you did not know me. Today, I hope that we can remedy that."

A chill ran down Arianna's spine, but she smiled through it. "If that is what you desire, then I shall accompany you." She stepped closer before him and lifted her green eyes to his. "May we be friends today, my lord?' She saw his lips begin to purse. "If you will grant me this day, to know you as a friend, I shall give you an answer this eve."

He seemed to ponder on that for a moment. "Alright. Friends it is then."

A little weight lifted from Arianna's chest. Perhaps she might survive the day without being raped after all, if only she could keep him believing that she might agree to his lunacy.

As he led her outside and handed her into the open carriage, she sincerely hoped that Thomas would be able to use this opportunity to solidify some plans to get them off of this island.

The monstrous man climbed into the conveyance, making it tilt on it's springs under his weight. Arianna braced herself so that she did not slide down next to him. The carriage's angle righted itself to some degree, as he sat himself in the middle of the seat and took up the reins. There were two horses tied at the back of the conveyance, both saddled. Arianna wanted to suggest that they simply ride, but she dared not to. She must let him appear to have control so that she might manipulate him her way. No matter how much she wished to be in control of her own space, without his thigh rubbing against hers.

*****

The workers had moved off fairly quickly. Derek and Alejandro had waited until all had sat quiet for half of an hour. Once they were certain that no souls lingered about, they moved from the cave, stepping out into the orchard. The sun sat fairly high in the sky, and both men had to let their eyes adjust from the darkness within the cave. The orchard around them was peaceful. Birds called to one another from amongst the branches and the sweet smell of blossoms and fruit met their noses.

A wide, winding path lead through the trees and the men moved towards it. Alejandro lead up a smaller path just off the wider one, they began to trek along it going south. Hopefully, it would lead them towards the manor house, rather than away from it.

They had not gone too far from the cave entrance when they heard the rattle of wheels and hoofbeats coming towards them. They ducked into the foliage that ran along the path and watched as an open conveyance came around the bend towards them.