Chapter Seven

Arianna was awakened the next morning by a pounding upon her cabin door. She had been moved to the cabin next door to Betsy's the previous evening, after her literal run in with the captain. Alejandro had been kind enough to help her see to her maids needs while the cabin boys had freshened the bedding for her.

Betsy had contracted a fever and would need a constant companion to monitor her condition. Last night it had been decided that Shaw, the doctor, and Arianna would work in shifts. It must be time for her to take over the post.

Arianna crawled from her bunk, calling out for another moment, as the knocking sounded again. She slipped her dressing robe over her nightshift and pulled the cabin door open. A cabin boy stood outside, twisting his hat in his hands, and his face turned pink when he noticed her state of undress.

"Pardon me, milady. The captain wishes to speak with you before you take up your post this morning. He is awaiting you in his cabin."

"Thank you, please tell the captain I will be but a few minutes."

"Aye, milady." The cabin boy turned to carry her message and Arianna closed her door.

She had given up on trying to insist that she was not a lady. It was easier to just allow everyone to call her what they would. She would not fight a losing battle. In all honesty, it did not matter what these people thought. She would simply keep to her cabin, or Betsy's, for the remainder of the voyage.

Arianna's curiosity was getting the better of her. What could the captain want?

*********************************

Derek sat behind the desk in his cabin, Viscount Whitmore sat in one of the two chairs opposite him. Mrs. White, or Lady Kent, his betrothed, if the Viscount was to be believed, would be arriving any moment. It was now ten in the morning, the viscount had asked for a private word with him after the morning meal, and the two had been in his cabin since.

The Viscount had sought out Derek's advice as to what to do with the lady. The Viscount was positive of Arianna's identity, as he had attended business dinners held by the Duke of Marlborough, and they had been hosted by none other than Arianna herself.

From what the Viscount knew, Derek's future father in law was deep in debt, having placed investments unwisely with men of unsavory reputations. They had promised great returns, and the Duke had attempted to talk Whitmore into joining the ventures, but Whitmore had abstained.

Now the duke apparently owed a hefty purse to one Admiral Miser.

Miser was a wealthy man who ran a group of footpads in London, when he wasn't serving the King in the navy, or so Whitmore reported. Miser had apparently already emptied the purses of a few other noblemen as well. The Viscount claimed that before he left England, the Duke had informed him that his name had been tied to Marlborough's, and that the Admiral would be appearing to try to collect on the Duke's accounts.

Derek found the story slightly far-fetched, but he had heard more outlandish stories, and found them to be true. The Viscount had then pulled an envelope from his pocket.

"I know you may find this all a bit odd, sir, but hopefully this will help." The Viscount pulled a creased paper from the envelope holding it out across the desk. Derek took it from his hand. He unfolded the paper, carefully, so as not to tear the worn folds. Once he had it open he checked the stationary.

It was indeed Marlborough's family crest at the top, he knew, because it matched that from his betrothal contracts. The layout of the paper was different, the official contracts bore Marlborough's crest in the top left and bottom right corners, and were decorated with minimal frills.