Chapter Thirty Five

Thomas knocked upon the cabin door and called out to Arianna. It was only a few moments before he heard the latch slide from its sheath and the door swung in. He moved into the room with the noon time meal upon a tray and another bottle of wine.

"Is this a special occasion, Thomas?" Arianna asked as she bolted the latch once more.

"Aye, Arianna. We have arrived. I will escort you ashore and to his lordship in two hours time. A bath will be arriving for you after luncheon, along with a costume the Admiral thinks his lordship will like." Thomas rolled his eyes. "I apologize for the humiliation ahead of time, truly it's awful. I've known strumpets with better taste." Thomas suddenly pursed his lips. The child-like look of guilt that crossed his face brought a smile to Arianna's.

"I apologize, again, for the comment as well as the future humiliation."

Arianna laughed as the smell of the fare tempted her appetite. "I shall forgive the comment if you will pour me a glass of that stolen wine." She sent him an impish smile, Thomas was struck for the first time by her beauty in a personal way. He mentally shook himself. Thoughts of a personal nature were not in the plan and would not be entering it.

"The wine is not stolen this time, lady, but a gift from the Admiral. He asked me to extend his deepest apologies and to inform you that he hopes your last encounter can be forgiven and forgotten."

Arianna raised an eyebrow. "I saw just how deep his apologies run during our last encounter, Thomas, and I shall forget nothing. Tell me Thomas, does our favorite Admiral still limp?"

A grin covered Thomas' face of its own accord. "Aye, he does. Now let's hope the wine is not drugged."

Arianna's eyes flew wide as saucers, the thought had never crossed her mind.

"I am teasing, my lady. The Admiral is not intelligent enough to be able to drug a corked bottle without leaving obvious signs, I have already looked for them. It has not been tampered with."

Arianna did not look convinced. "Are you sure, Thomas? Might I inspect it myself?"

"Aye," He said as he brought it towards her, "It is good that you are not trusting, my lady, for the path ahead of you is not an easy one. Be careful who you trust."
She took the bottle from his hands and inspected it. "What about you, Thomas? Can I trust you?"

His expression was completely sober as he contemplated her question. "I aim to help you any way possible, Arianna, but I too have my own ends."

Arianna handed him back the bottle of wine, content with the knowledge that it had not visibly been tampered with.

"That is much more than I can ask from you, Thomas, and I am more than willing to help you in any way necessary to see out your own ends, as long as it does not interfere with my own."

He handed her a full wineglass and pulled out her chair. She thanked him as she sat and he pushed her under the table. He distributed the meal before taking his own seat.

Thomas smiled across the fare at Arianna and lifted his glass. "To the adventure ahead."

"To the adventure ahead." The wineglasses tapped and they both took a healthy sip before satisfying their appetites.

******

"Land sighted! Dead ahead!"

Derek and Alejandro both peered through their own looking glass at the island on the horizon. Even through the instruments, it was barely discernible as anything more than a small green smudge.

"Trim the sails, stay out of sight." Derek said before he turned to make his way to his cabin. Alejandro relayed his captain's order to the crew.

They would wait. There was no use in alerting anyone of their presence. The fact that they had made it to the island meant that Arianna still lived. That was enough for now, it had to be. Tonight. Tonight he would make his next move.

*****

Arianna stood before the mirror in Thomas' cabin with an angry frown across her face. This costume was far worse than the last the Admiral had forced upon her. In this costumes defense, 'twas not a whore's costume, but rather an overgrown child's. The gown was a light pink muslin decorated with bows and ribbons of an ugly burnt orange hue. The capped sleeves were lace and matched the gaudy orange trim, the neck was high, as was the waist. The skirt was voluminous but was cinched in with each sweeping layer of ribbons and bows. Arianna pulled on the matching pink gloves and turned from the mirror. There was no alternative. Her dirty and stained dress would not suffice.

A knock sounded at the door. "It is Thomas, my lady. May I enter?"

"Aye." Arianna called, sliding the bolt.
Thomas came in and cringed when he saw her. "I apologize my lady."

"Thank you, Thomas."

"For apologizing?" He raised an eyebrow in her direction.

"Nay, Sir. For keeping me safe thus far. And for remaining an ally on this adventure."

"Yes, well, I.." Thomas stammered under her gratitude. Despite the child-like gown, she seemed very much the lady tonight, not the girl he had come to know and like over the past weeks. "I am glad to have been able to help you, my lady. They await us at the gangplank. Do you desire to keep them waiting?"

"Nay," Arianna sighed. "Let us get this over with."

"Right." Thomas extended his arm to her and led her from the cabin. As they made the deck, Arianna lifted her face to the breeze, enjoying its kiss upon her skin for the first time in weeks. The Admiral hobbled over with the aid of a cane. His foot was wrapped tightly with bandages and devoid of his boot.

"Lady Kent, I do hope you can forgive me for my ill behavior the last time we met. 'Twas beneath my station to treat a lady so."

"By threatening her, attempting to rape her, or by cursing her directly, my lord?" Her sarcastic comments annoyed him, but her haughty address angered him. How dare this hussy turn her nose in the air at him, when she had spent the voyage in a lesser man's bed?

"Yes, well. Actions do speak louder than words, do they not my dear? Should I dismiss your indignant tone and assume you enjoyed your time in the American's bed?"

"Assume what you will, Admiral. But know that I do not retract my words from our last encounter. You shall not live long if you are still intent on bedding me."

"On that note, we shall see." The Admiral turned and surveyed the docks. The carriage from the estate house had arrived. "Let us get on with this. I can almost feel the weight of the gold you shall bring me in my purse."

Arianna did not reply, she simply raised an eyebrow and continued to stare at the man. The Admiral spun on his heel and Thomas led her behind at a slow pace that matched the Admiral's hobble. They followed the Admiral down the gangplank and up the docks to the waiting carriage. The Admiral stepped aside and allowed Thomas to hand her in. Arianna chose the rear seat as she preferred not riding backwards. Thomas moved to enter but the Admiral's cane barred the door before him.

"If you don't mind, partner, I believe I will sit next to the lady."

Thomas leveled his stare at the Admiral. Perhaps it would be wise to let this be. He would still be available to Arianna across the carriage should his lordship step out of line.

"As you wish, partner."

The Admiral awkwardly ascended into the carriage and Thomas followed behind. The driver set the conveyance into motion, Arianna stared out the window wondering what lie ahead of her.