Chapter Sixty Five

Alejandro turned his eyes from the twinkling constellations overhead to the shining light at his side. They lay in the sand, Carmelita's head upon his shoulder, Roman's head was resting upon her stomach. Alejandro found himself staring in amazement once again, as he did every time she was within his line of sight. It wasn't just her beauty, or the fact that he had her back that amazed him.

A memory brought a smile to his face, he saw her once more as a young woman, her belly swollen with Roman. Had he been asked at the time, he never would have believed that sweet, young girl could have survived ten years of slavery, keeping their son safe the entire time.

The thought of what she went through at Bailey's hands had him glancing far down the beach, where Tiny's rather large silhouette was visible against the glow of his small fire. Carmelita shifted against him and his anger cooled. Tonight was not about tearing Bailey limb from limb. Tonight was about appreciating his woman. And he was growing rather impatient to have her alone.

A glance down at Roman proved that the boys eyes were firmly closed. Alejandro smiled, their time had arrived. He leaned closer to Carmelita, allowing his warm breath to caress her earlobe, loving that even after all this time he could see the shiver run down her neck, the gooseflesh raise upon her skin. She was just as anxious for their evening as he was.

"I shall put the boy to bed if you will clear the way into the women's tent." The whisper was almost as arousing to Carmelita as when he pulled the sensitive flesh gently between his teeth. Si, she had missed this man.

She purred as she tilted her head to catch his lips with her own. Her teeth nipped at his bottom lip slightly before she pulled back and replied, "I will let you lift him before I rise."

Alejandro slid to the side and rolled up onto his feet. He walked around her to where Roman was, letting his eyes sweep her body slowly as she boldly watched him stalk around her. She heard him give a low, predatory growl at her as he bent down, sliding his hand under Roman's head across her belly. She shivered in anticipation as he lifted their son away from her.

Rising, she moved to the tent and held the flap aside for him. He entered and followed as she lead the way up the middle to the back left corner of the tent. Betsy had made Roman a pallet next to her own.

Alejandro gently laid him down. Still kneeling, he stroked the top of his son's head, down his shoulder to his hand, then he stroked his smooth, soft cheek. It was bliss, just touching his boy, he felt fulfilled and whole again. He closed his eyes for a moment, bowing his head he whispered, "Thank you.". He then moved his hand from his forehead to his chest, following it with a touch to his left shoulder to his right in the motion that completed the cross. He looked up at Carmelita, she could see the tears gathering in his eyes.

She held out her hand and he clasped it, letting her pull him up to stand in front of her. She stroked Alejandro's cheek much as he had their son's, reverently. He pressed her hand to his cheek, then turned his head to kiss her palm.

"Come, my love", she whispered.
He followed her out of the tent, back under the stars, letting her lead him up the beach past the campfire.

They stood at the water's edge, looking out at the sea, the small waves that rushed the beach took on a phosphorescent glow as they rose from the surface to dash themselves on the sand.

Alejandro heard quiet laughter off to their left and spied Derek's back and Arianna's bare feet slip around the rocks. He smiled and pulled Carmelita to him, draping an arm around her waist. She turned into him, resting her head against his chest, her hand came to rest over his heart as her eyes slipped closed. She simply absorbed his presence, as thankful as he they were together again.

"Shall we go exploring, wife?"

Carmelita lifted her head from his chest to look up into his dark eyes. "What do you hope to find, husband?"

One corner of his lips tilted up in a mischievously boyish grin, "Secrets."

"Secrets?"

"Aye, things once known, but never ever forgotten." His dark eyes seemed to glow from within as he was now intensely serious with her.

Carmelita smiled under the light of his evident desire. "Aye, husband. Let us explore."

The grin returned as Alejandro swept his wife into his arms, much as Derek had with Arianna. He carried her around the point but did not release her once his feet were on dry sand. Instead he began dancing in sweeping steps to a melody he hummed himself.

This invoked laughter from his wife, who after a few moments, grabbed his face, ending his song and dance with a slow kiss. Alejandro allowed his wife's lower body to slide down the length of his while he devoured her attention.

Her hands still on either side of his face, she pressed her hips into his and nibbled his lower lip before she pulled back. Alejandro made to pull her close once more, but Carmelita spun from him with a laugh and ran towards the sea, sliding her dress from her shoulders as she ran.

Alejandro started after her body had disappeared into the waves and he hopped about on one foot then the other, shedding his boots. His clothing went next, then he ran out to dive into the surf and catch his prey. He dove under and surfaced directly in front of her. He expelled the breath he had been holding and took her face in both hands, kissing her and letting his hands wander.

He could feel the welts and ridges on her skin from the whip. Every single one broke his heart and made him love her more than he could ever have imagined. She tensed a little, realizing what he was feeling. She broke the kiss and looked into his eyes. The heartbreak and love was shining there for her to see.

"God, how I have missed you." She whispered fervently, before taking his head between her hands and kissing him back with all the fervor she felt inside.

Alejandro realized that this was everything he ever imagined heaven would be.

*****

The Duchess was pleased at how things were progressing. She had seen Arianna and Derek slip around the point to the beach beyond. She had witnessed Alejandro and Carmelita put their son to bed. Everyone had eaten to their hearts content. The children were asleep and the crewmen were entertaining the other adults with stories of their adventures alongside the Captain of the Green Eyed Lady.

All were reassured upon hearing they would not have to abandon the ship, as many memories had been made aboard her and many prized possessions still resided in the ship’s cabins. Some of those tales were being told now. They had just finished the tale of the pirate attack, and Arianna's part in it. Once again they acted it out, adding to the drama, as Arianna became a legend in everyone's mind. The Duchess had been hanging on the edge of her seat. It was as entertaining as an evening at the theater. Now the evening was winding down and the Duchess was feeling the need to put her feet up for a time.
The Duchess walked away from the campfire towards Cook's small fire.

"My good sir,", she asked him, "might there be a bottle of fine wine anywhere in your supplies?"

He disappeared into his leanto that had been erected for his staples, coming back out with a bottle and two glasses. "I hope that you do not mind, your grace, but I have never acquired the taste for rum myself." He gestured behind the cook tent and they both sat on one of the crates that had been unloaded from the ship earlier.

The Duchess then proceeded to refresh her French, while sipping the nectar of France with one of their own countrymen.

*****

Derek pushed the vines aside and let Arianna lead him into the small clearing around the freshwater pool.

"Derek, this is magnificent!" Arianna exclaimed, as she stepped into the soft flickering light. Though she had been to this same pool earlier in the day she could not have imagined what a wonderland it could become in the evening. The pond lay in the center of a small clearing of the tall trees with flowering foliage, rocks, and grassy patches littering its banks. There were two torches on the bank slightly to the left of where the path had brought them in. The torches stood on opposite sides of a blanket that was spread between the pond and a mass of vegetation that boasted beautiful blooms of many shapes, colors, and sizes. A basket sat in one corner of the blanket and wine glasses rested against it. A bundle wrapped in sail cloth sat to the side of the basket. Glass jars floated half below the surface of the pool with short lit candles weighing them down. Their glow illuminated the pool to a clear deep green and she could see small fish curiously watching the candles, their scales and eyes reflecting the candle light. She could see that there were large smooth rocks upon the bottom of the pond, but as the gentle breeze carried the scent of the blooming plant life across its surface, the pond seemed devoid of its earlier tainting. A bottle of wine floated in the pond amidst the candles, a thin rope tied around the bottles neck. The other end of the tether pinned beneath a rock at the shore.

"Come, shall we sample Cook's talents?" Derek asked as he stood once more at her side.

"Aye." Arianna grinned as he offered his arm. She gladly rested her hand upon his sleeve, allowing him to lead her to the blanket. She sat on one corner of the blanket as he retrieved the bottle of wine and the basket.

"Shall we eat?"

"Aye." Arianna replied a bit breathlessly.

Derek filled them each a plate from the small feast that was spread between them and they began to quench their hunger in a comfortable silence. Only the occasional complement for Cook's efforts spoken between them.

When they both finished, Derek cleared the evidence of their meal and refilled their mugs. When he finished, he found Arianna resting on her back upon the blanket, her hands tucked under her head and her gaze pointed at the stars.
Derek sat next to her and placed a box upon her stomach. Arianna glanced down at the box and then at Derek. "What is it?"

"For you," He laughed, "Open it."

Rising, so that she sat before Derek, she lifted the rectangular wooden hinged box in her hands and lifted the lid.
A soft melody began to play around them as a figurine of a couple dancing twirled on a spring.

"Derek it is lovely, thank you." She smiled and pressed a kiss to his cheek before she inspected the music box closer. There was a sliding drawer on the front of it and she pulled it open.
Instead of being empty as she had expected it to be, a ring encrusted with diamonds and emeralds lay inside the satin lined drawer.

"Be my wife, Arianna."

She lifted her eyes to his. "We are betrothed..."

"Not because of the betrothal." He interjected. "Marry me because you want to. Marry me because I love you."

Her eyes grew wide. "You love me?"

"Aye, Arianna. With all that I am. I have loved you since I met you. Before I put it all together I worried that you would find your way into my blood and that I would be honor bound to marry another."

She looked down at the ring in the drawer and then back at Derek. Tears began to gather in her eyes and Derek began to worry.

When she finally spoke, her smile returned, "Aye, Derek I will be your wife of my own will. I love you too."

Derek leaned in and ran his palm across her cheek before he kissed her thoroughly. They fell down to lie on the blanket and she found herself atop his chest. She pulled back slightly to look into his eyes.

"I love you." He breathed and the truth was there in his eyes for her to see.

"I love you." She replied, knowing the same love must be reflecting in her eyes as well.

He pulled her down to him once more and rolled her underneath him. His lips left hers to caress her cheek and then the hollow below her earlobe. She gasped and arched into him as his lips traveled down the column of her throat.

Her body tingled from the cool night air and yet seemed to burn from the inside out as his hands joined his mouth in creating pleasurable sensations along her skin. He returned to her mouth and plundered the honey sweet cavern once more before he pulled back.

"Come, my love, let us get you back to camp."

Arianna let him help her to her feet and slipped against him once more. "Tell me again."

"I love you, Arianna." Derek's hands encircled her waist and he pulled her close for another kiss. As he pulled back he swept her into his arms. He was more than content to carry her safely through the vegetation.