Chapter Twelve

"Time's up! All men, on deck!" Alejandro called as he stepped from the hallway. He moved to the main mast with a calculated tread, his eyes searching the depths of every man they met. Once there he paused to contemplate the intimidating display the tails of his cat-o-nine staged as they spun at the end of a free line when caught in the wind. Pulling the leather wrapped handle free from the line, Alejandro shook out the nine leather tails that were decorated with filed shark’s teeth and fishing hooks. Crewmen began to gather around and Alejandro began to search their faces. And yet he did not see the face he sought. Harry George was not among the crewmen. Where was George?

Hensley stood behind two men and avoided the first mate's piercing stare over their shoulders. Harry George would not be found. Hensley had no fear of being caught now. He had broken George's neck and toppled him overboard after breakfast, nearly an hour ago.

No one could tie him to the voodoo witch's murder now.

No one.

Alejandro called out for George, but no answer came. The crewmen simply glanced about, just now noticing that George was not present.

"I ain't seen 'im since tha mornin' meal." One crewman called out.

"I seen 'im after that!" Another yelled. "'e went up on deck wit' Hensley."

"Hensley! Front and center!" Alejandro boomed with new fire lighting his dark eyes.

Bloody Hell. Hensley moved through the opening that appeared between him and the first mate.

"When did you last see George?"

Hensley answered quickly. "I bummed a smoke off'a 'im after the mornin' chow, sir. I smoked wit' 'im at the bow 'n' then left 'im there ta see ter my own duties, sir. I ain't seen 'im since." Hensley met Alejandro's stare. He was calm, collected. Alejandro's eyes narrowed suspiciously. Hensley almost seemed too calm.

Alejandro shook out the whip in his hands, he was pleased to see Hensley's eyes fall to it, as well as his skin tone lighten a degree, while he gulped hard.

"You signed on in St. Thomas correct?"

A confused frown took over Hensley's face. "Aye, sir."

"Did you break your fast with George this morn?"

Hensley's expression remained. "Aye, sir."

"And you were the last to see him?"

"I su'pose I was, sir."

"Why did you kill the doctor?" This sounded more of a purr from Alejandro's throat than the brisk tone that had accompanied his previous questions. Alejandro stepped forward until he was but inches from Hensley. Alejandro stood nearly head and shoulders above the shorter man, Hensley had to tilt his head back to see into the gleaming, black fire in the Spaniard's eyes.

"I didn't kill nobody!" Hensley shouted as he turned to run. Where to? Alejandro surely did not know.

Wherever he intended to run to, he did not make it far as Alejandro swung the whip. The evil barbed tails of the cat-o-nine snaked around the fleeing Hensley and bit into the flesh of his chest.

A horrible, pain laced scream erupted from Hensley as he fell to the deck and lay writhing in pain.

Alejandro stepped close and bent beside Hensley, speaking softly in his ear. "Had you not lied, that strike would have been to your neck and you would be at your end now. As it is, you murderous scum, I am going to beat you to chum and feed you to the sharks. Mayhap you can tell Georgie goodbye for the rest of us."
Hensley's vision clouded with red fear before his world went dark. But in his unconscious mind, one thought remained clear.