Chapter Forty Eight

Derek quit his pacing as Alejandro rounded the corner and stepped into sight. Alejandro’s grin was infectious but his words were invigorating. "She is alive, my friend. After all these years, she is alive. My son is strong, she says, with a wit to rival my own."

Derek clasped his friend’s hand and pulled him to his chest sweeping his other arm about the Spaniards shoulders. "We will take them from here, Alejandro. You will have your family back, brother. We will teach your son to fish, to sail, to shoot, and to fight. You will be a father to him again, and who knows," Derek cuffed his friend's shoulder as they began walking along the tunnel towards the anteroom where Mr. Bell awaited them, "Carmelita may bless you with more children, my friend."

Tears fell from Alejandro's eyes as his ear to ear grin faltered. He shut his eyes tight, clearing the moisture that collected in them, before he stopped walking and looked to Derek. "How will I be a father again, Amigo? I know not who my son is. What will happen when he blames me for the life he has had?"

Derek smiled, "My friend, the boy knows no different. He deserves the truth, and your best, from this day forward. Your exterior is hard and your mind may be twisted, but your heart is soft, you will cross that bridge if it comes, but you won't be alone."

Alejandro nodded, his eyes on the floor. He expelled a heavy breath and turned slightly away from his captain. "What of my wife, once she is free from this prison and she blames me for her incarceration? Blames me for not... For.."

Derek stepped into his friends line of vision, challenging him to break eye contact first with a hard set to his jaw. "Can you change the past?"

Alejandro brow knit, "What?"

"Can you change the past?"

"No, but.."

Derek interrupted, "Then stop wasting your energies there. Look forward, you have a future once more, my friend."
Alejandro's brow raised and he opened his mouth to reply but stopped before any word passed his lips. He broke eye contact and his lips pursed momentarily. "I suppose you are right, my friend."

"Of course I am," Derek laughed, cuffing his friend's shoulder once more, "Now let's go speak with that American that has been inside the house."

*****

"Margaret, what we are about to tell you could hurt many of us were Bailey to find out. Are you sure you want to know?" Arianna asked, fearful to reveal the truth to this girl. Thomas' warning once again warring with her natural disposition. She knew the Lady would have enough room to take this girl and her infant with them if she was able to help in the escape, or simply keep their secret to herself.

"I don't tell nobody nothing I don't have t'a, lady. Your secret be safe with me."

Arianna supposed she had to take the girl at her word. "There are men hiding on the island. They are here to save me. Carmelita and her son are coming with me. I can take you and your child too, but I'm afraid we will be found out before we can act should too many know our plan. We can not inform anyone else if we plan to escape without raising the alarm."

The girls eyes grew wide and her jaw dropped. "How is you going to make that 'appen?"

Carmelita spoke up, her eyes on Arianna. "I saw Alejandro in the dungeons, we meet them there at midnight. Why did you come back, my lady? Alejandro said that you were safe."

"I needed to be sure that you and your son are safe first. And I met the lady you spoke of. She will be coming to."

Christina slipped in the door with a fresh pitcher and clean linens, her eyes locked onto Carmelita's instantly. "His lordship asked that I inform him once the lady quits her bath, Miss Cammie, you should not be here."

"Aye, Carmelita, take Margaret to your rooms and see to those wounds, I shall quit my bath only after she returns."

"Aye, I shall return with Roman after his lordship retires and we shall.." Her eyes darted to Christina, "Talk then. Good evening, Arianna."

"Good evening, Carmelita, I shall await your visit."

Margaret gathered her medical supplies and led Carmelita from the rooms. Arianna moved into her bedchamber and noticed a smoky smell in the air. In every corner smoke lifted slowly from ceramic flower jars to pool around the ceiling of the room. The balcony doors were closed making the smell too strong.

"Christina? May I ask what the smoking vases are for?"

Christina stepped into the room, quickly plugging her nose, "His lordship ordered that I burn them, I know not, my lady."

Arianna moved to the balcony doors and threw them open. The smoke instantly began to lighten through the room. Arianna coughed as fresh air finally made it's way into her lungs. Her eyes stung and watered from the heavy smoke.

Arianna felt an internal effect to the smoke as well, she seemed to float in her movements. Not so drastically that she lost touch with her surroundings, but enough that she seemed to notice more minute details of things. Like how carefully the vine framing her mirror had been painted or just how blue and crystal clear the cove beyond her balcony was. She did not even remember that she was to bathe until slaves began to cart buckets into her bathing chamber to fill the large footed tub.

What was burning in those vases that made her almost... content in her surroundings? And why had Bailey had them brought to her room especially after he had poisoned her wine?