Chapter Forty Three

Derek watched as Bailey spread a blanket in the shade at the end of the orchard. He was only ten paces away. Derek could almost smell him. And he said almost, because the intoxicating smell that was Arianna's, flitted to him on the breeze. He could see her, smell her, hear her, all but reach out and touch her. Delicious torture. She looked extremely radiant today. The emerald and black outfit offsetting her eyes, hair, and now lightly tanned complexion beautifully. His palms began to sweat as he crouched between a tree and a berry bush, peering through the undergrowth at the picnic that was taking place before him.

Alejandro's hand upon his shoulder startled him and Derek turned glare his first mate's way. Alejandro sent him an answering frown and Derek understood his friend's unspoken concern. But what was he to do? He wouldn't rush out and cause a scene. He could see the bulge of pistols under Bailey's jacket.

"So, my dear," Bailey's voice carried to them. "Have you seen anywhere on the island that you would prefer to hold the ceremony?"

Alejandro saw Arianna's spine stiffen, but he was not sure his captain could through the blue fire that glazed his eyes. Alejandro's grip on his friend's shoulder tightened.

"Perhaps on the beach would be nice."

Alejandro barely heard her. She sat as far away from Bailey as was possible upon the blanket. Her wineglass before her as if it might protect her from him. Alejandro saw it all very clearly.

He looked to Derek, only to find him gone. Alejandro turned and peered over his shoulder to find his captain moving through the trees and shrubs in the direction they had come.

What was the fool doing?

******

Carmelita came around the desk in his lordship's study, to see boots sticking out from underneath it. She continued to hum the tune she had been humming since she had noticed the study door partially open. She could only think of one person who would dare enter the study without his lordship's permission, and that was Mr. Thomas Bell. As she stepped further around the desk, her suspicions were confirmed.

A smile crossed Carmelita's face as she decided to have a bit of fun with the American. She continued to dust the bookcase until the back of the chair was directly behind her. Once it was, she backed into it, pushing it further under the desk. It had only moved a couple of inches when she heard a groan. Carmelita bent down to sit on her calves next to the chair.

"Mr. Bell, may I ask what you are doing down there?"

"Oh, thank God it's you!" She heard him breath. A laugh sounded from her throat. It stopped abruptly as she realized just how long it had been since she had honestly been amused by anything.

"Would you mind helping me out of here?" Thomas brought Carmelita back to the present.

"Oh, certainly." She replied, as she pushed the chair back, allowing him room to back out of the space and stand.

"Were you looking for the passageway, Mr. Bell?"

"Aye."

"Let me show you."

Carmelita turned and pulled upon the book he had spotted earlier. The entire wall panel, as well as the attached bookcase, swung in towards them. Thomas stepped forward peering into the dark stairwell beyond.

"Where does it resurface?" He asked Carmelita as they stood side by side staring into the darkness.

"The west end of the cliffs, near the orchards." She replied, never once glancing his way. This vast blackness before her, might very well be the avenue to her freedom, and her son's as well.

"Do what you can to store food. Non perishable foods. Now that we have a way away from the house, I will secure us a way off the island." Thomas pushed the bookcase back into its frame, until an audible click met his ears.

*****

Alejandro watched as Arianna nibbled at the sandwich she held and sipped liberally from her wineglass. Bailey spoke continuously about the process it took to mold the island into what it was today. He required no answer from Arianna, and for once, the girl knew when to keep her mouth shut. He missed the fiery little vixen. He was pleased to see that she was whole and hearty.

His captain had stormed off an hour ago and had not made an appearance since. The man was a fool if he could not read Arianna's defensive posture and body language, Alejandro was not about to abandon the lady to soothe his captain's ruffled feathers.

He watched her bring a hand to her head and sway lightly. Bailey saw it too, and an almost eerie excitement filled his voice.

"Are you feeling alright, my dear?" He asked, a hand reaching out to rest on her skirts at her thigh.

"I.. I.. No." Her voice was weak and she swayed much more violently. Bailey retrieved the wineglass from her hand just before it would have spilt.

The man just sat watching, as Arianna lost control of herself, slumping to the blanket in an unconscious heap.

The bastard! Alejandro mentally swore, if he laid a hand upon her, 'twould be the last thing he did.

*****

Bailey grinned at Arianna's limp form. It was time for her training to begin.

He stood from the blanket and unceremoniously lifted her over his shoulder, carrying her towards the open carriage. He passed by the seat, moving around to the compartment at the boot. He lifted the hatch and set her inside, upon the cushions he had prepared for her earlier.

He then moved back to the picnic site, repacking the basket, before he retrieved the blanket as well. He moved back to the conveyance and stepped up, setting the horse to a quick pace, back along the path they had rode in on.

As he rode back into the estate, his slaves came running to take the horses and to put up the conveyance, but he waved them off. He pulled the conveyance into the carriage house and dismissed the slaves there as well.

Once the building was clear, he moved around to the boot compartment and lifted the hatch.

The compartment was empty.

His infuriated scream rent the air, sending a chill down every spine that heard it.