Chapter Nineteen

Miss Jessica Bridger sat near the bow of the Green Eyed Lady. Her novel was hidden in her satchel, with her drawing supplies and sketch book. She was not far away from reality, lost in words on parchment, or capturing any of the beautiful viewpoints at present. Instead, she was attempting to ignore her sister's ramblings about the captain; how much he liked her, how polite and considerate he was, how marrying him would make one a countess. Jessica rolled her eyes at that one, as if she had needed that simple fact to be explained to her.

Jessica was rather annoyed with her sister's interruption into her private time. It was something she had been very used to having in abundance before this sea voyage, and had only recently begun to enjoy once more, now that her sister had set her cap upon the captain. Jessica finally became interested in her sister's words when she began to speak of the odd things that had been happening to her in the last three days, since Lady Kent, as they all now knew her, had drowned, and Jolene had started following the captain around.

"My bathing water has been freezing cold these past three days. I found a roach in my porridge last night," Jolene complained, "There was a hair in my soup the night before. It was more than two foot long and black as coal! The captain was quite upset and excused himself, I am sure, to go berate his cook!" Jolene rambled on naming other incidents that could truly have been just her own rotten luck.

Jessica fought not to laugh, as she was sure the captain had, the night before last. She did find it a little odd though, the hair in Jolene's soup, for Jessica had not seen any other aboard with hair that long. Some of the crewmen, even the captain and first mate, had hair as dark, but there had been no other that Jessica had seen, that had hair as long as Lady Kent's had been.

She mentioned the thought to her sister and Jolene barked at her.

"Are you implying that she is taunting me from the grave, Jessica? Surely you don't mean to imply that she has placed a curse upon any who comes close to the captain?" Jessica could almost hear her sister's frantic heartbeat above the sounds of the ship and sea.

"Was it not you who said these things began to happen then? Mayhap you should test it. If you stop pursuing the captain and these things continue, then surely 'tis no curse of a dead woman."

What a novel idea it all was!

Jessica was truly intrigued now, and she decided, that in spite of her sister's refusal to avoid the captain these next few days, that she would look into these offenses herself.

*****

Arianna was seated at Betsy's bedside, a tray of broth, dried fruits, cheese and bread, spread before them. On the side table rested a tea service and their cups. Arianna had been extremely pleased to arrive at Betsy's cabin this morning, to find her awake and coherent, no longer plagued by the fever.

Arianna had brought her maid up to speed on the events that had taken place while she had been ill, Betsy had been horrified that such things had occurred around her. The fact that she had been present when Shaw had been murdered scared her, for she had absolutely no memory of the event and she could have been murdered too.

"He murdered Shaw because she caught him here, Betsy. And whether you remember or not, 'twas you who raised the alarm."

"But why had he come here in the first place, my lady?"

Arianna sighed and took sip from her tea cup before setting it down.

"He said he came to leave me a note to scare me. It seems someone is willing to pay to have me taken captive."

Betsy's eyes were as round as saucers in her pale thin face. "But who, my lady? And why?"

"That we do not know, Betsy. Not exactly. It seems it has to do with some of Papa's business dealings. An Admiral is involved in this search for me, and his ship is just off our starboard bow; this is the reason for the rest of the story. Three days ago, I fell overboard and drowned."

Betsy fixed her mistress with a stare that questioned her sanity. Arianna laughed at the humorous expression on her maid's face.

"It obviously wasn't me that drowned, Betsy. Twas my dress and a sack of potatoes that fell overboard. The first mate made a daring rescue attempt and the Admiral's ship came close enough to investigate the occurrence. He now thinks I am dead."

"Then how is your presence here not questioned, my lady."

"I am now a cabin boy, known as Rian, miss, at your service." Arianna was on her feet sweeping a hand before her to indicate her boy's garb, she bowed with far too much grace for a male, young or old. Betsy laughed at her mistress's antics.

"I had wondered why you were dressed so, my lady."

"Aye, I had noticed your pointed looks, but I did not want to spoil the story for you." Arianna smiled at the frail girl before her. There was more color in her face than there had been this morning. With enough food and rest it seemed Shaw's prediction would come true. Betsy would make a full recovery.

Betsy yawned and her eyes took on a tired look about them. Arianna stood and began collecting the tray and tea service.

"I shall come visit with you after dinner, get some rest for now."

Betsy nodded and smiled as she relaxed back into her pillows, Arianna exited the cabin with her tray. She turned towards the stairs to make her way to the kitchens, her step was light and her mood was as well.

The captain's cabin door opened and she was pulled into the room. It took everything Arianna had to keep the contents of her tray from littering the floor.

*****

Alejandro stood at the helm watching the Avenger across the waves. Why hadn't the Admiral changed course by now? With the slow pace they were traveling at, the Admiral's brigantine could cut around the Seahawk and put into New York in three days time. Alejandro had no doubt that, should the Lady make such a cut, she could make it in two.

As it were, they would not put into harbor for a week. Alejandro was annoyed with the slow pace. He felt the ship beneath him riding low in the waves and each swell rocked her hull. Alejandro glanced once more across the waves at their official escort.

It was possible that the Admiral had gotten a better look at the supposed 'drowning' than they had hoped. Alejandro changed course slightly, calling out for an adjustment of the sails to tack into the wind better. The Lady rose slightly out of the waves and the swells no longer tossed her about.

He spied the Admiral with his looking glass raised towards them and glanced across the deck. Neither Derek nor Arianna were present. The Admiral should not spy anything of too much interest.

*****

Miser was indeed spying on the Lady's deck, but it was not the captain he was watching. The Viscount Whitmore had his attention. Now how had it happened that Whitmore and Lady Kent had been upon the same ship? Perhaps this question was worth pondering as well.

Perhaps this question was worth much more than simply thinking over. Perhaps he should invite the Viscount for a prolonged stay aboard his own ship.