Chapter Thirty Eight

Derek thanked the heavens for the thick clouds that all but blacked out the Caribbean moon, leaving the night dark. The Lady had circled the island all day until they were due north on the horizon. They had spotted the cliffs that stood a hundred feet high off of the water giving them a chance to draw close to the island without being detected. Dark spots had let them know that caves were prominent along the cliff fronts.

Derek looked to Alejandro, who stood next to him in the crow's nest preparing to fire the harpoon. There were no rocks in the water near the cliff face large enough to damage the Lady, and she was as close to the cliffs as Derek dared to take her. Alejandro lifted the harpoon in his ash blackened hand and fired the barbed tip into the rock wall of the cave across from them. The tip stuck and Alejandro tugged hard on the rope that was attached to be sure it would stay. When he was satisfied, he climbed the last six feet of mast and tied the rope securely around the pole. He slipped down the mast into the crow's nest once more.

"You ready, Captain?" The black faced Spaniard asked with a grin, his eyes and his white teeth seeming to glow in the minimal moonlight.

"Aye." Derek laughed, knowing he looked the same.

Alejandro took the rag from his pocket and walked out along the rigging until he could loop the rag over the rope. Alejandro then stepped off of the rigging and rode the line to the cave floor. Once he was safely on his feet he waved Derek over. Derek followed his first mate's example and once he was safely in the cave as well, he cut the line, freeing the Lady from the rock wall.

"When you see a fire, come back for us boys!" Derek shouted to his crew as they began to move about the deck, retreating from the island as their captain had directed them to.

"Aye, aye, sir." The crew sounded, as the Lady rose on a retreating wave and spun away from them.

"It's a good thing you offered that bonus for this mission." Alejandro laughed as he dug in his pockets for flint.

"Aye, I'm still not sure they will return for us." Derek laughed. He had no doubts that his crew were content under his command.

Derek took a few steps deeper into the cave and tripped over something on the dark damp floor. He felt for whatever it was that had tripped him and found a small piece of driftwood.

"High tide flows into this cave, Alejandro." Derek handed the driftwood to his first mate.

Alejandro took the rag he had and tied it about one end of the short, but somewhat thick bit of wood. Derek reached into the pack he carried and retrieved the bottle of lantern oil, liberally wetting the rag. Alejandro used his flint to light the rag on fire and then lifted his crude torch.

"We had better find higher ground then, Captain."

"Aye."

*****

Arianna pushed her dessert plate away after only one bite. The chocolate filled pastry was delicious but she had no more appetite. 'Twas not surprising after this seven course dinner. She truly hoped she would not be expected to eat like this at every meal. What was she thinking? What did she care what she was expected to do? She only cared enough to want to stay on Bailey's good side, so that she was free to look for an escape route... But they would still need a ship to leave the island. She would have to speak to Thomas.

"Do you not like your dessert, my dear?" Bailey asked.

Arianna had to close her eyes for a moment so that the man would not see them roll back. The entire meal he had droned on asking pointless questions of her that required no answer really. For he knew that she had not seen the cane field, or the cotton field, or such and such certain flower on the carriage ride in from the docks to the manor. Then he had droned on about how lovely an outing they could have while he showed her his island.

"It is excellent, I have simply had enough to eat."

She had not meant to snap at him. It had simply happened when she had opened her eyes and seen his disapproving frown.

"Well, my dear, perhaps the fault lies with my cook for serving you too large of portions."

Arianna was about to agree with him before she noticed the strange light in his eye. His confession to owning slaves resurfaced in her thoughts and she rethought her answer.

"Nay, the portions were appropriate. I believe my appetite will have returned upon the morrow. The voyage was.."

"Yes, I see." He interrupted. The muscle in his cheek twitched as he sent a tight lipped smile her way. "Gentlemen, if you will join me in the drawing room?"

The Admiral nodded and Thomas hesitated, but eventually nodded too.

"Lady Kent, you may retire so that you may rest after the long voyage. I am sure you will enjoy sleeping on a bed that is not moving beneath you." He found hidden humor in his own words, chuckling to himself as he rose from the table and walked to the doors. The Admiral followed him immediately, but Thomas was slower to leave Arianna.

"You had better curb that tongue, girl. He's likely to strangle you." Thomas whispered, as he stood from his chair. Arianna gave him a tight smile before she lifted her wineglass, emptying the contents in a single drink.

Bailey turned at the doors, "Are you coming, Mr. Bell?"

"Aye." Thomas followed after the men.
Arianna glanced over her shoulder at the footman with the wine bottle, "Sir, might I please have one more glass?"

The man did not say anything, but he stepped forward and refilled the glass she held out.

"A little more, please." She said when he only splashed a small bit in.

"A little more." It was only half way.
He filled it almost completely full and she smiled up at him, "Thank you, sir."
The slave smiled and nodded but still said nothing.

Arianna dismissed him from her thoughts as she took a sip from the glass. She stood from her chair and exited the dining hall, her wineglass in hand. As she exited the room, the housekeeper entered the hallway from the room next door.

"Señorita, might I have a private word with you?" The housekeeper whispered, as she drew close to Arianna, her eyes darting down the hallway that led to the drawing room.

"Aye, you may." Arianna's curiosity was piqued.

"Allow me to escort you to your rooms, my lady. The walls have ears here."

"Aye." The housekeeper turned towards the stairways and Arianna followed.