CHAPTER 31

NIGHT OF THE SHOW

You and the girls were backstage. All 3 of you were wearing tight, long sleeved red dresses with a long black coat accessorized with white ear muffs and open black short heels. You all watched as Super M performed their songs.

"Man our men look good." Mei said, blushing.

You and Soyeon chuckled.

"Especially mine." Soyeon replied.

You looked at her.

"Sorry." she said.

"You're fine." you said and squeezed her hand.

As the final song ended, you and the girls clapped loudly and chanted. You looked at the crowd. It was packed.

"Girls." Mei said and held her hands out. You and Soyeon grabbed one and then each others. You closed your eyes and bent your head down. Mei said a prayer. Each word hitting you. Each second, you realized, was getting closer to showtime. You lifted your head up and looked at the girls.

"Let's do this!" Soyeon yelled.

You all watched as the stage faded to black and the host started to speak. You and Super M ran into your positions for duet stages. Yours and Taemin's was the living room setting. You watched as Mark and Mei were first. They were sitting on the fake porch singing Let it snow.  Their song was playful. But, their chemistry was strong. The look in each others eyes. The flow of their bodies synced. You were amazed. But, also scared. Would you and Taemin's dance routine be as good? 

The song ended. Next was Soyeon and Baekhyun. Their song was Baby I'll be home for Christmas. They both stood on each sides of the light post as the prop crew poured fake snow over them. You watched as they both stood there, harmonizing every possible moment. Their voices lifted you out of your chair, making your body feel warm. You sighed as your heart hit your stomach. 

You started to panic; your body felt warm. You took the sides of your coat and gently fanned yourself. You could feel beads of sweat forming on your forehead. You gasped as you felt something on your shoulder. You looked at your shoulder and sighed.

Taemin leaned towards you, "It will be okay." he whispered. His voice sending goosebumps down your body. You took a dep breath and nodded.

He's right.

He's right.

We can do this.

I can do this.

Finally, the stage faded to black. You watched as Taemin sat in the chair adjacent to you. The fireplace lit up. One of the crew handed you both a microphone. You looked at Taemin. "It's okay." he mouthed.

You nodded back. The lights above you turned on and the music began. Taemin stood up and looked at the fireplace, gently singing his notes. When the chorus was coming, he walked towards, you holding your hand. You smiled and grabbed it. Holding the microphone, you both sang.

The crowd stood up as the two of you stood hand in hand, bodies close to one another. You breathed heavy, looking at Taemin, who was smiling at you.

"You did it." he said.

You did it, Y/N.

You smiled as tears started welling up.

The stage faded to black.

You and Taemin ran backstage, hand in hand.

"You two were incredible!" your manager said.

"Thank you!" you both said in unison.

"Now, everyone get changed. Solo's next. Then group performance to close."

"Yes, ma'am." Soyeon said.

A few minutes later

You stood backstage watching as Soyeon sang her solo. You were wearing a glittered dark gold sleeveless dress with black heels. Your hair in a high ponytail.  

Soyeon is incredible.

 She was destined to be a musician. Her performance was flawless. She stood there as the song ended. You watched as the crowd stood up, cheering her name.

Well that will be hard to beat.

You closed your eyes and gripped the microphone.

This one is for us, Grandma. Give me the strength to show them my full ability. 

You opened your eyes. Soyeon ran towards you and held your hands, "You ready, girl?"

You shook your head.

She smiled and hugged you, "You got this! I believe in you!"

You hugged back, "I hope so." you whispered.

You walked to the carousel and leaned on the railing, taking deep breaths. Every second feeling like minutes. The lights went on and the music began. You looked into the crowd. Their eyes staring through you.

No, we came too far. Don't let them intimidate you. 

You stood up and held the microphone to your mouth.

Blue Christmas. Blue tears. If I would have known if I had only known .I would have loved you harder. I would have let go sooner. I would have said I love you sooner. Let go faster. This pain in one I never knew before.  So for one last time hold me harder. One last time hold me longer. Before the first snow falls. One last time. Your voice a sweet memory. Your laugh a sweet harmony. Your stories old tales. I'm not ready. So for one last time..

Almost done.

The tears started welling up.

One last time hold me harder. One last time hold me longer. Before the first snow fall. Your name written in the stars now. The birds singing your sweet melody. Your soul within me. Why do all good things come to an end. Your memory endless. 

A tear fell. 

So. One last time hold me harder. Hold me longer. Say I love you. One last time. Before the first snow fall.. before the first snow fall. 

You belted out the last note, tearing running down your face. You stopped, holding the microphone down. The song ending. You held your breath, waiting for the audience reaction. Within seconds, the crowd cheered louder than before. You looked up to see the crowd on their feet. Your heart fluttered. You waved and ran to the side of the stage.

"Y/N!" Mei yelled and hugged you.

"Who was that?" Soyeon said and hugged you. 

You looked behind them to see Super M cheering and clapping.

"You all were awesome!" Taeyong screamed.

"Angels!" They chanted over and over.

Taemin came up from behind Kai and walked towards you. He was standing inches from you, hands behind his back. "That was beautiful." he said and hugged you.

"OH!" Everyone yelled.

You both quickly let go and smiled.

"Now come on everyone, last number. Let's end this!" your manager yelled.

Angels and Super M ran to the back to change. 

"So, Y/N,?" Soyeon said and put her arm around you as you were walking, "Whom was that song about?" 

You looked at her, "My grandma." you replied.

"Awh." Mei replied and hugged you.