Chapter 9 - BERE

Hiro, Hikari, King, and Ace woke up in the late afternoon as the first rays of the setting sun painted the sky with golden and orange hues. The city, once immersed in a deep slumber, was now beginning to come alive again.

Getting up and shaking off their sleep, the group decided to explore the city streets. As they walked, they heard the murmurs of the citizens, expressing their concerns about the mysterious disappearances. "Is it already the tenth girl that has gone missing?" said a gray-haired man as he observed people passing by.

Worry hung in the air, and the streets were filled with anxious glances and whispered voices. The stories of the disappearances fueled fear and uncertainty in the city, keeping everyone on edge.

Hikari drew the attention of Hiro, King, and Ace to the conversation among the citizens. She spoke cautiously, "Could this be the work of the Signs of Light?"

Hiro murmured in response to Hikari, "I don't know... let's go to the tavern 'BERE' to try and learn more about the city chief and see if it's really the same person we saw with the girl. But let's be discreet, we're outsiders, and I don't want to raise suspicion."

Hikari, King, and Ace agreed with the idea of discreetly investigating the "BERE" tavern. With cautious steps, they approached the establishment and pushed open the wooden door, entering the cozy and lively atmosphere of a typical medieval tavern.

The interior of the tavern was illuminated by a series of candles and chandeliers hanging from the low ceiling, casting a yellow and flickering light over the sturdy wooden tables. The characteristic smell of beer and fireplace smoke permeated the air, while the sound of laughter, lively conversations, and music filled the space.

There was a variety of characters gathered in the tavern. Bearded men in worn clothes and tattered cloaks shared stories and songs around large beer mugs.

Women in colorful dresses with ribbons in their hair chatted animatedly as they enjoyed their drinks. The sounds of musical instruments blended with the melodic voices in harmony, creating a welcoming and vibrant atmosphere. It was a refuge for those seeking a moment of fun and escape from everyday worries.

Hiro, Hikari, King, and Ace decided to approach the tavern counter, where a middle-aged woman with long black hair was busy serving drinks and interacting with customers. The bartender was a charismatic and astute figure who commanded the counter with mastery.

She had piercing eyes that reflected wisdom and a warm smile that conveyed hospitality. Her face exhibited lines of experience and an air of seriousness, denoting a woman who knew how to deal with the ups and downs of life in that city. She wore a linen blouse with rolled-up sleeves, highlighting her strength and hard work.

Her gestures were agile and precise, moving gracefully between the shelves of bottles and barrels of drinks. She possessed a deep knowledge of the different liquors and beers offered there, able to advise customers on the best choices for their tastes.

When Hiro, Hikari, King, and Ace approached the counter, the bartender momentarily interrupted her busy work, raising an eyebrow with curiosity. Her eyes examined the outsiders with a mix of interest and caution, assessing them shrewdly.

"Good evening, travelers," she greeted with a melodious yet firm voice. "My name is Amelia, what brings you to my humble tavern? Are you looking for something to drink or seeking something more?" Her tone indicated that she was ready to handle any kind of request or situation that arose.

"Good evening, Hasn't this just opened?" Hiro questioned, surprise evident on his face. The bartender, with a subtle smile, replied with a slightly ironic tone, "Yes, but you know, the party never ends for them. Some already stay here sleeping or passed out for the next day."