008

The time spent walking into it felt almost instant yet I could feel myself being sent through so many realities to find this exact one. We all appear in a white room with little to it, though I could already feel that the air tasted artificial.

Too clean, more than what I am used to.

Older Gwen sides next to me. "Keep your eyes open, you wouldn't want to miss anything you see here. Most of all, try to make friends because all of us here understand each other and have gone through a lot to be who we are."

I nod slowly. "I am almost expecting it."

"Oh," she lowers her voice. "Silk's a bit socially anxious, she'll grow on you but if you ever feel confused just ask her. Everything should be explained perfectly and everything she can't explain the computer will clear up for you anyway."

"Pretty sure I won't bite."

"Some of us do," she chuckles. "You'll get it when you see it," she walks past me toward the door in front of us where Miles and Younger Gwen disappeared through.

Silk is waiting for me, watching me carefully as she and Gwen share a brief exchange. I walk up after her and she steps forward almost in my way as she pulls something from behind her and holds it out for me.

"This will you be your tool."

"Bracelet?"

"Bracelet?"

"Something like that," she states. "It will be your access key, your warping device, and will handle everything on this station for you so you don't have to worry or stress about the specifics."

I grab it and place it over my wrist, it tightens itself comfortably around my wrist before it seemingly goes invisible.

"Just so it doesn't get in the way," she adds. "I got this design because, just like a few of us, you are an Organic web user from what I could determine so it shouldn't get in the way, if it does you can head to R&D to sort that out."

"Got it," I nod. "Is it supposed to be... not working?"

"Have to calibrate first," she adds. "It uses holograms so don't worry about where the interface is going to be, it will make sense sooner or later. If you want you can hook it up to your suit so the display will appear on your lenses."

She lowers her face mask as she starts walking forward.

Gorgeous.

I lift my hand to my face to pull off my mask, for a moment I hesitate, for some odd reason I feel like keeping the mask on would be better. I guess that happens when you abandon your life with all your friends and haven't ever been able to relax properly.

With great power comes endless sacrifice.

We walk through a narrow hallway, and the shutter at the end of the door slides open as we get closer. I can spot the three that were with us moments ago walking ahead of us before leaping off of the sides into full swing.