017

I got dressed and Cindy stood near the window, staring into the space outside. She doesn't look at me as she breathes out, "Before we head anywhere, Gwen saw who it was and it isn't exactly common knowledge about who it is-"

I finish it for her, "It's me, isn't it?"

"The File is incomplete and you probably saw it already," she moves her leg backward slightly and rests all of her weight on her backfoot as she crosses her arms. "No name, just the fact that the person in question has the Anti-Venom symbiote."

"I had that confrontation," I state. "Called me a doppelganger."

"Probably to let you know who she is," with a sharp exhale she glances at me. "Lucille, or... we called her Lucy when she joined up. She was one of our stronger operators that hid the suit in plain sight and hid it cleverly to mimic what our suits look like."

"Is she one of us?"

"Don't know if she was bit by a spider, or had Spider DNA at some point but she knows a lot more than she ever let on." Returning her gaze back to the window. "But one day the equipment lab was raided and she bruised one of the Spiders that was with her there but didn't kill him. She left behind her warp device and then we never saw her again. She left after altering various logs on the system to keep us from finding her."

"And they chose to hide it?" I narrow my eyes.

"I don't know why they hid it on the systems but a lot of the newer people don't know about it and they feel like they should keep it that way because when they find her they will send the few that can probably handle it."

"So they say."

"She killed the other you," her gaze drops. "This was around the time we noticed she has been hunting after other symbiote hosts but only specific ones. We don't know if it was a whim, cause, or whatever else you can blame it on."

"It brings up too many questions," I state. "Why not kill me?"

She cracks a slightly pained smile, "I was thinking the same thing... I thought you were dead but you... I couldn't help but wonder what changed."

I express, "They wanted me to join them."

Her eyes widen slightly. "Makes less sense the more puzzles you piece together. But this time they looked like they were more than happy to not come into any confrontations with us, or is it just to avoid us temporarily?"

"I think there are too many things about it to consider," I walk up to her. "Chances are we are going to find them soon and then we can learn more."

She lifts her gaze to smile at me over the shoulder. "Sorry, we never told you, if... if you knew what the Anti-Venom was capable of maybe it would have been different. Maybe we'd be closer to stopping her before it goes further than just one kill."

I clench my jaw, the threat of all of them colluding could very well lead to the exact same situation. Where they start making decisions for us.

"We should go before we keep them waiting for long-"

I stop her mid-turn by resting my hand on her arm. "What was he like?"

She locks eyes with me and then shakes her head before lowering her gaze slightly. "We were friends, good friends. But the two of you aren't alike even in the slightest, I think that maybe he was more like Lucille. God he was stubborn, rarely listened to anyone but the fact that he was so stoic probably made it even harder to ever see what he was planning."

I could ask the question on my mind because it always has to ask those stupid questions. That if she likes me because she liked him but what would that achieve other than creating a situation that neither of us would want to be stuck in the middle?