|| Everything Has Changed

⋇⊶⊰❣⊱⊷⋇

⋇⊶⊰❣⊱⊷⋇

The group crouched behind the trees, observing as Harry bravely faced the Dementors, waving his wand in an attempt to fend them off, and Y/N desperately tried to rouse Sirius. Hermione winced at the harrowing screams, the all-too-familiar sight of the Dementors sucking out their souls one by one.

"This is horrible," Hermione remarked, not even daring to imagine what it felt like. "You two went through this?"

"Don't worry," Harry reassured, determination in his eyes. "My parents will come, they'll cast their Patronus and save us."

"What?" Hermione asked, bewildered.

Harry turned to her, sporting a self-assured smile, as if what he was about to reveal was absolutely undeniable. "My parents. Look, tell her, Y/N. We saw two Patronuses, didn't we? A stag and a Phoenix."

"Harry?" Y/N spoke softly, her voice filled with concern.

"Yeah?" Harry responded, the smile still playing on his lips.

"I don't think they were your parents, Harry," Y/N admitted wearily, as if she were treading on delicate ground.

"What?" Harry looked at her, his confusion evident.

Y/N gestured toward their past selves. There was no James or Lily swooping in to save the day, no Patronuses emerging to fend off the Dementors. Y/N, Harry, and Sirius were still in peril, their souls being drained away, and Sirius's life hanging by a thread.

Harry still seemed in denial. "Any minute now!"

"Harry—" Hermione attempted to interject.

"Right there! You'll see!" Harry insisted, determination coloring his voice.

"You're dying," Hermione stated matter-of-factly. "All three of you."

"There's nobody coming, Harry," Y/N said with a shaky voice, averting her gaze.

Harry looked down at the ground, his eyes flickering to Y/N, his jaw clenched as he released a shaky breath. "Y/N?"

"Yeah?" Y/N replied.

"Think of the happiest memory you have," Harry instructed.

"What—?"

"Just do it!" Harry barked, his face reddening. "Then, on the count of three, run with me and say Expecto Patronum."

Y/N hesitated for a moment, her mind racing through memories. In that split second, her thoughts landed on a particular moment—her first kiss. The warmth, the cherry alcohol, the carnival lights and the wind ruffling her hair. The surge of emotions all flooded back.

Harry counted, "One... two... three!"

Together, Y/N and Harry sprinted forward, their voices shouting, "Expecto Patronum!" Y/N's wand lit up with a brilliant burst of fiery energy, and to Hermione's surprise, a majestic phoenix emerged, spreading its wings in a blaze of glory.