Fourteen

Carlos

"Pretty girl and a smart one too," his father said as he poured himself a cup of coffee and joined Carlos outside, "She looks like she knows what she's doing,"

"Did the box of chocolates sell you off that easily papa?" Carlos asked as he scratched behind Piñon's ears. His dog wagged his tail at him before proceeding to rest his head on Carlos's lap.

"The chocolates did help," his father said with a chuckle before continuing, "But it's more than that. She looks intelligent, calculating and arrogant enough that I know you're in good hands,"

"She did save my life once,"

His father turned to look at him, "What do you mean?"

"The agency didn't want word to get out that's why you didn't find out about it in the news," Carlos said, rubbing the back of his head awkwardly. "I was targeted during my first date with her. Three men started shooting at us and if it weren't for her I would've been dead,".

His father stared at him in shock, "Why didn't you tell me about this sooner? I've signed the papers you know I wouldn't be telling anyone,"

Carlos sighed, "They figured it's best that we didn't communicate via the phone or the internet,"

His father nodded in understanding, "What exactly happened?"

After Carlos had finished explaining everything he watched as his father pondered over what he'd just heard. "You're right, if she wasn't there you'd be as good as dead," he said before giving him a sideways look, "I do have this feeling however, that you two don't get along as much as you lead on,".

Carlos couldn't help but laugh at that, his father had always been so perceptive, reading and understanding people and relationships even before he got to know them first hand. His father looked at him with a knowing grin as Carlos ceased his laughing and put his head in his hands letting out a loud groan in the process. "It's just that she's so frustrating to work with! I met her before all of this and she was sweet and nice. I even found her attractive!"

"Are you saying that you don't find her attractive anymore?" his father still had that knowing look on and Carlos let out another groan. The question had some truth to it, Morgan was beautiful and many a day Carlos would wonder if things would've been different if he'd gotten her number after their ride to the airport.

And she wasn't some crazy mercenary with a kill count probably equivalent to the Taliban.

But whenever those thoughts surfaced he would tamper them down. To her, he was just business and he kept reminding himself that, she was just expendable when it came to his safety. She could easily be replaced if anything were to happen to her.

"Your silence is an answer enough," his father said, patting him on the back, "Now go shower and change into something nice, your sisters will be here soon and I've invited Luis and his wife to dinner as well, so I need you and your girlfriend to make a good impression,".

Carlos sighed as he nodded. Luis Estrada was his father's closest friend and an excellent cop who had spent most of his life working in the fiscalia in Colombia. He was a stern man with stern principals. When Carlos was young he had many a times been subjected to lectures from the man about decorum and discipline.

Luis loved to lecture.

He made his way back to the room to find Morgan awake and tending to her wound. She was leaning against the table with her shirt pulled up revealing a torso marked with scars and bruises. He stopped in his tracks, unable to move or think about a better way to retrace his steps undetected.