Twenty Two

Carlos

"How long d'you think this meeting will go on for?" Charles asked from beside him. Carlos shook his head, "They said it was very important so I'm guessing that this might be a long meeting," he said as he waved Lando over to the empty seat beside him. Everyone was slowly trickling in to the main conference room where just only a few months ago they were sitting at. Only a few months ago when he first got a proper look at Morgan.

Carlos sighed nervously. It had been almost two months since he had last seen her. After she left he'd gotten no news about her and was forced to let Henri take reins of his security.

"I just heard that they've found out who was behind the initial attacks," Lando whispered as he took his seat beside Carlos. Charles shot him a quizzical look, "They found out?" he asked.

"Yeah that's what I heard from some of the other guys but I don't know, it could be something else,"

"I doubt it. I overheard Horner having a chat with Gunther this morning and the word billionaire businessman was passed around a lot," Max said as he came and took a seat beside Charles. "Even Daniel thinks that this has something to do with our sponsors," Max said, waving Daniel and Oscar over in the process.

Carlos let the conversation around him continue but he wasn't paying any attention. He kept his eyes peeled on the door, any second Morgan would be walking in. Carlos had no idea what to expect from her or from himself for that matter. He wasn't sure how exactly he would react. Over the past two months he'd pushed everything away, just choosing to focus on this years season and his testing. While testing had gone well and the car wasn't a shitbox as it was last year, he also had other things to focus his attention on.

Possible driver contracts.

He watched as Horner and Wolff finally made their way into the room and take their seats at the front beside his team principal. The room went silent as Jenna walked in and Carlos held his breath as Hawk and Morgan followed. His eyes widened as he noticed the long scar that ran down her throat. Lando must've noticed it too because he shot Carlos a concerned look.

"Gentlemen, good afternoon!" Jenna started as she pulled out her tab and turned to the screen behind her, "As you all may have heard, we've come up with some new findings about your case and would like to share as much as we can with you all. For security reasons I am not obliged to give you all the information but I'm positive that this is sufficient enough to put a bit of fire on your backs about the gravity of the situation," she said as she clicked something on her screen and two pictures of men popped up. Carlos stared at what looked like two ordinary men. He shot Charles a confused look but they both said nothing.

Jenna began explaining about the situation they were in. She kept it short, just informing them that the majority of the funds poured into their sport were harvested by these two men who had different objectives with the profits. She didn't tell them what exactly they were but emphasized that their protection was of the utmost importance and now with the season just beginning they would be beefing up the security. Jenna turned to Morgan then and passed over the tab and then everything seemed to happen in slow motion.

He watched as she took the tab and immediately winced, her grip on the device loosening sending the tablet crashing down to the floor. Hawk was swooping down in an instant, picking up the now broken tab and shooting Morgan a worried look. Morgan said nothing, her right hand gripping her left wrist as she kept her expression blank but she blinked rapidly and Carlos knew that tick well enough to realize that she was in pain.

Lots of pain.

Morgan cleared her throat and turned to them. "What we propose is a simple alternative to what you've already been doing over the past years," she began, her expressions schooled to indifference as she did her best to ignore the pain.