Thirty

Carlos

He stared at his trophy which sat on top of the nightstand beside his bed. The first race of the season and he had managed to score a podium. The car was good this year, much better than it was last year and he'd been able to extract the most out of it. He'd made it to the podium, scored himself valuable points. It had been a good race.

The cheers that had come from the crowd were still ringing in his ears. Being the first podium celebrations for the 2024 season they had made sure that it got all the works put into it.

He hadn't seen Morgan though.

After he had gotten out of the car, Carlos had felt some sort of relief wash over him at the sight of her. Still he didn't know why, but Carlos chalked it to the fact that he was hoping to see her there waiting for him and she'd been there. The kiss he'd given her had been so spontaneous that it was only when he'd gone into the cool room did he realize that it probably did look good on camera too- further solidifying the fact that they were indeed together. But in that moment, when he had kissed her, he hadn't thought of any of that. He'd just wanted her, wanted to show her how much he appreciated her being there.

The door opened cutting his trail of thought and Carlos sat up as Morgan walked in. He glanced at the clock beside him, it was almost 7pm.

"What happened?" He asked, noting the grave expression on her face.

Morgan pursed her lips together and shrugged, "We found a body," she said.

"Who?"

"A janitor who works for McLaren, he was found on the side of their lounge," she said as she made her way to her suitcase where she pulled out a bottle of Absolut. She turned to Carlos, propping the bottle on her hip.

"The afterparty starts at nine. What d'you say you and I have a small drink before that?" She said.

"Are you sure about that?" Carlos asked raising his eyebrows in the process.

"I cant constantly be thinking about corpses and the possibility of getting shot at. I'm going to have a few drinks, you're free to join me if you want to," she said with a wink before screwing open the lid and tipping the contents of the bottle down her throat.

***

It was almost 11pm and they still hadn't left the room. Not that Carlos gave a damn about the party anyways. Here with Morgan and him draining the entire bottle and her speakers blasting RnB music, Carlos couldn't even think of going anywhere else.

"Come on slow poke, chug it already!" Morgan said as she tackled him from the back of the bed and pulled him down on her. They were both pretty drunk and for once in his life Carlos wasn't too bothered about making a fool of himself. He laughed as she pulled him down with her and he pushed his arms behind him to grab her by the waist and he turned pulling her up with him. Nelly and City Spud's 'Ride Wit Me' was playing in the background as she pulled him up with her. "Are you a lightweight?" She asked as he almost crashed back into bed with the whiplash she gave him.

"I could drink two more of these and still walk back home in a straight line," Carlos said wriggling his eyebrows in the process.

"Bullshit!" She laughed.

"You want to test that theory?"

"Oh look at you getting all confident! Fine," she said as she pulled open the mini fridge and took out two bottles of fireball, "Finish this and we'll see how well you hold your liquor,"

"Always pushing me to take a walk on the edge aren't you?" he asked as he unscrewed the cap and drank the liquor. The burn was less considering that he'd managed to drink vodka neat right off the bottle. He swallowed and looked up at her, shooting her a cocky grin in the process.