Twenty One

Hawk

"How much longer?" he asked as he paced back and forth in the room. It had been days since he had gotten any sleep and his head buzzed with every step he took. But he couldn't stop. If he did, Hawk didn't know what exactly he could do to calm himself down. It had been two weeks since both Morgan and him had been found in that lake. Three days since he'd woken up from the countless operations and heavy anesthesia they'd put him under. His leg was still healing but he could walk just fine, his body felt weak but strong enough to drag himself into her room.

He turned to find Morgan in bed. Countless machines had been connected to different parts of her body. Her breathing was steady but she still hadn't woken up. The hit was on her side. She was the one who had pulled the trigger. He sighed loudly through his nostrils. She knew the risks and yet she took it, even if it condemned her to years of comatose.

"We're not sure but her vitals are steady. Her healing has been accelerating by the minute but with the force of the impact directly hitting her, we're not so sure about a speedy recovery," the doctor answered from beside him.

This was how it had been for the past three days. Everyday he'd drag himself into her room and question the doctors over and over again. He couldn't rest. Couldn't think straight. They'd destroyed the facility in Hungary, wiped off the codes of the bombs that had been deployed to different parts of the world. But Morgan had always taken an extra step when it came to ensuring that the same mistakes wouldn't be made. They'd spent an entire month studying the secret facility, learning its secrets and committing them all to memory. She knew where exactly she needed to be to pull the trigger. She'd blown up the entire faculty right from the middle of its core. Countless deaths were on her hands but she'd taken the risk.

The beeping of the Holter monitor buzzed at the back of his head and Hawk ran a hand down his face as he stared at an unconscious Morgan. The blast had shattered the bones in her left arm, narrowly missing her shoulder and she'd hit the back of her head when she was thrown back. He stared at the bright red scar that ran down from her ear to her throat. Small scratches from the debris marked her face, all looking red and angry. She'd broken a few more bones but the doctors had assured him that the impact wasn't fatal as she'd been behind a pillar. It was the debris and the force of the blast that had messed up her internal organs.

He had been right there. Right outside the window, waiting for her to leap into the helicopter. She had been so close but at the very last minute she'd thrown the package at him and turned on her heel.

Seconds after, the force of the blast had him thrown off the helicopter and he'd plummeted into the cold waters of the river below.

"Agent, you need to rest. We don't know when she'd wake up," the doctor said as she gave Hawk a reassuring pat on the back, "As soon as Agent Morgan does, you'll be the first to know."

Hawk shook his head. To everyone back in the agency, Morgan was as good as dead. Even Jenna had taken the news without so much as a reaction. He wasn't so sure if she'd even visited Morgan or even him as a matter of fact.

He pulled out the chair by the bed and sat. His muscles ached in protest as he did but he ignored it. He would not move until she was awake.

With that thought in his mind, Hawk found himself slowly drifting off to sleep.

***

"Hawk," something or more rather someone was calling out to him but his meds had gotten the better of his senses and he found himself unable to wake up. "Hawk," the voice called out again before he felt warm fingers poke weakly at his arm. He grunted, forcing himself to wake up.

As his eyes adjusted to the brightness of the room he saw her.

She was blinking slowly. Her body still weak but slowly waking up. He sat up as Morgan feebly turned her head to him and gave him a weak smile, "You sleep like the dead," she whispered.