XIX. The Past Part 3

Few days went by before concrete evidence was actually found about Julong Liu's relatives. An informative had dropped by at the sect, during the afternoon. "Grandmaster, this is what we have gathered on the relatives of the young one."

The man handed a folded piece of paper to Wu Lin. "Lan Xia" was present in the room and as usual his face was void of any emotions but if one were to look closely they could see his eyes were excited. They were expecting something, for a wish that could finally become true, that the small child could finally gain a family that can take care of him.

"Lan Xia" knew firsthand what it was like to not have a family even though Wu Lin never let him feel alone in this vast world. Despite having the stoic persona, he couldn't help but ask showcasing his eagerness. "What's written on the paper Shifu?"

Wu Lin slightly chuckled at "Lan Xia's" hidden excitement, which he immediately tried to hide right after "Have patience child I haven't yet open the note yet" teased the grandmaster ever so slightly. He did enjoy seeing the hint of blush creep up on the child's face ever so slightly even though it quickly disappeared. But really in the snow any small hint of color wouldn't go unnoticed.

"Lan Xia" can be described to be porcelain as snow, pale yet not sickly still retaining some hint of warmth on his skin that may be overlooked at first glance. Wu Lin quickly put away his amusement and got reading the note. He read the note once, twice and the third time, something in the air had changed.

The note read:-Both mother and father of the child is dead. Only relatives are alive are distant uncles and aunts. The house is located in Yokai road of Beidou village, where once the demon sect had resided 25 years ago.-

"Lan Xia" picked up the doom surrounding the air, it was suffocating. Wu Lin was a cultivator of the greatest height so when his spiritual pressure was released unknowingly, it brought "Lan Xia" to his knees, he started to cough and claw at his chest. He is still just a child and not strong enough to handle such an immense pressure.

Wu Lin snapped out of his thoughts when he heard series of coughing and turned towards "Lan Xia" who was on all fours now on the floor gasping for breath. The grandmaster immediately tried to calm his mind and retract back the spiritual pressure. "Lan Xia" noticed that he can breathe again and his blurry vision was starting to clear.

His surrounding was still confusing but he felt warmth, someone was rubbing soothing circles on his back to calm him down. "I am sorry, please forgive me child I didn't mean for this to happen." The older man spoke up his voice sounded the same as usual but it had cracked slightly.

"Lan Xia" knew and understood that his Shifu is feeling guilty at the moment even in his delirious state he knows that this man would never try to hurt him. He tried to speak and give reassurance but all that followed was violent coughing and heaving. "Is someone out there, bring a class of water and soothing tea!" 

Wu Lin worriedly called out but before he could finish, he felt weight in his arms. "Lan Xia" had fainted. His small face was scrunched up in pain. 

Wu Lin held "Lan Xia" tightly against his chest when the informative had appeared again. "Do you know your mistake." This was a statement even though it was phrased as a question. The informative got on his knees "I am so sorry grandmaster, I didn't think this through, I should have informed you privately instead of risking it." 

The insignificant man shook in fear despite the grandmaster on releasing a single ounce of pressure, fear had gripped his throat.Wu Lin's eyes held darkness equivalent to void, deadly calm. The smiling and gentle man that "Lan Xia" was familiar with was nowhere near in sight. 

In its place stood a blizzard that will freeze and destroy everything in its path. "I have protected this child like he was made of glass that the simple breeze can knock him over and your lack of common sense has caused me to the thing that I had promised myself I wouldn't do even if I was near death's door, burning in hell!" His voice was hushed but it held weight heavy as a mountain, crushing every hope the informative had at surviving. 

As the silence that followed was interrupted by small voice of pain "Lan Xia'" had let out a slight groan in Wu Lin's embrace. The Grandmaster adjusted his hold on the small child slowly and ever so gently that shouldn't be capable of the older man, who only had known how to hold weapons and reports. He wasn't equipped to take care of a child but he did for four years he had taken care of this child shielding him from everything that the world could throw at an orphan and all the evil that was mankind. 

Wu Lin spoke up again smiling but the smile didn't reach his eyes "Don't fret your life will be spared since this little one would surly look for you to say thank you for finding the family of one of the strays." Wu Lin is good but at front he is all the righteous and he tries his very best to uphold it but his innate nature betrays him time and time again. It rears up its ugly head to expose his true nature a heartless and cruel man. 

War and the world of the cultivator would do that to an ordinary man, break him until he becomes a shell of what he used to be once upon a time. Wu Lin thinks of himself as not human more so someone below that, he was able to keep his humanity because this child had come into his life and gave him purpose to continue and be better. The child was his reverse scale so when he was put into harm's way because of someone who couldn't think better, it was not wonder his true nature came to front to bite.

The informative was currently kowtowing "Thank you, thank you so much. Grandmaster!" the man could have practically scream in joy. "Lower your voice!" said Wu Lin through clenched teeth. The man shut up right away.

"Listen carefully and listen well, no word of the demon sects or any matter related to demons ever be reviled or uttered in front of "Lan Xia" he mustn't be a witness to the sin of the cultivators world the curse we had done 25 years ago!" Wu Lin's words can be like a spell that needed to be kept hidden otherwise it would bring inevitable death. His eyes were now hollow as if he was reliving a moment of regret.     

(didn't even try to make this easy to read,  here is my word vomit sorry)