The Truth

Katherine's Perspective-

"I always think about what it would be like if I had stayed. They would've snapped my wand and I wouldn't be a witch anymore." Shelby said, her voice shaking and tears falling.

"Well," She said, laughing lightly and stiffly, "I'm not much of a witch, am I? Can't even do the simplest of spells."

"I'm sure you can." Katherine said, smiling weakly, "Go on. Give it a shot."

Shelby took a deep breath and pulled out her wand, her grip tightening on it.

"I- I can't." She said, looking up at Katherine.

Katherine's eyes widened as she saw the tears gleaming in Shelby's fearful eyes.

"Yes, you can. I'm sure you're not all that bad at magic, you were able to help fWhip! And us with the Wither!"

"Not really...that was mostly you guys."

"No, you helped."

Shelby shrugged.

"Would you be more comfortable if you did magic in private?" Katherine asked, "You know, in case it doesn't go well."

Shelby hesitated and then nodded.

Katherine smiled and grabbed Shelby's hand.

"Come on." She said, leading Shelby away.

-

"Woah." Shelby said breathlessly.

Katherine smiled and watched as Shelby stepped into the two-toned storage room.

There were also weapons and Katherine's fighting outfits in there.

"So, come on, try it." Katherine said encouragingly.

Shelby bit her lip and her grip tightened on her wand.

"Well..." She took a deep breath and muttered something under her breath.

Nothing happened.

Katherine looked around and Shelby cursed.

"I told you." Shelby said, "Nothing will work. Nothing ever works with me and my luck."

"I'm sure it- "

"No, it won't! You don't get it! You're always so lucky and have a supporting family and friends! You know what I have? NOTHING! I left it all behind! My parents died after I got into that school, and I left Caleb! I have no one."

Shelby's voice broke as she started to break down.

Katherine's face fell into concern, and she walked over to hug her friend.

"I'm sorry." Katherine said softly, "I didn't know."

Shelby shook her head.

"No one e-ever does." She said shakily, wiping her eyes.

"How come?"

Shelby sniffed, "It's because I never talk about it. I don't like to bring up the academy. I know they all hate me."

"But what about your parents?"

Shelby looked to the ground grimly.

The two girls sat in a couple minutes of silence.

The only thing you could hear were Shelby's quiet hiccups.

Shelby then took a deep breath.

"My parents," She started, "Died a couple of days after I got accepted into the school. My father, who loved tinkering with potions, caused an explosion and they both died. I ended up meeting Caleb and they helped me a lot. I didn't like to talk about it much, but sometimes I cracked, and they were always there for me. I hope they're okay."

Katherine nodded and watched as Shelby wiped her eyes.

"And then I left. Now I have no one. I'm alone. All I have is Tortoise."

"You have me." Katherine said, smiling.

Shelby looked up at her and blushed.

She then looked down and said softly,
"Thanks."

Katherine smiled back, "Of course. I'll always be there for you."

Shelby nodded and they fell into another silence.

But this was a comfortable silence.

A comfortable silence in which Katherine didn't notice the happy, fuzzy feeling in her heart.