I

TRICIA's POV

"I already told you, Aries. I'm not going. Period." I repeated annoyingly to my friend through the phone.

"Come on, Trish! It's just a square date. You and Heidi, me and Saint. It'll be fun!" She insisted and I let out a sigh in exasperation.

"You know that's not my thing. I don't waste and invest my time to someone whom I know will just be temporary in my life." I reasoned and I heard a groan on the other end of the line.

"In short, I'm not interested. So, I'm sorry but I'm sure you can do something about it. I gotta go. Bye Aries." I know that she is opening her mouth to speak so I hung up before she can even say anything else.

I was about to cross the street when I heard someone yelling.

"Rebecca Patricia Armstrong!"

And that is my full name. Hearing it, I immediately looked around for the source of the voice because I did not like someone yelling my name around. Then, the wariness that I felt vanished when I saw someone so familiar in not so far distance.

"Sky." I whispered to myself as I watched the woman walks towards me in elegance and sophistication. She's just walking but it looks like she's making it a runway.

Skylar Merrin Salazar. The very reason why I went off the grid from my college friend's lives. I haven't seen her for six years since our graduation. FYI, she was my best friend, my bestest best friend. We met in college when we were both freshmen and taking Landscape Architecture until I shifted to Entrepreneurship in second year. But it didn't matter though, we still hung out and we even became closer, strangely. Until we formed a circle of friends and that's with Lyssa, Tee, Georgina and Cassey.

I watched Sky stopped in front of me. And as usual, she had that distinct elegance that pull people's attention to her. Even now, people, men and women, glance at her as she is undeniably a head turner. She is as beautiful as ever. And when she looked at me with her chocolate colored eyes, those that held strength that not many women possess. I smiled at her even if my knees are shaking and would give up on me anytime soon. Well, I hope not.

"Babe... Hi. It's been a long time."

Yes, I used to call her Babe for no reason back in college and using that endearment made my heart beats triple fast inside my chest. But she just stood there and didn't say a word. Her expression held nothing and I know why that is. You know, I'm not supposed to see her. I am supposed to avoid her. I was avoiding her these past six years and she had no idea why. And now, I know that she's waiting for an explanation that's why her glares are so sharp on me that I might bleed invisibly any minute now.

...

Just because Sky is my best friend but she's also the only woman that just has the ability to turn my world around. It's cheesy but it's true. She's the only woman I've ever truly loved besides my mother. And she doesn't know it. I didn't get the chance to tell her.

So I just pretended and cluelessly beamed at her.

"Hey. Don't be like that. I haven't seen you for a long time. You gotta at least give me a proper greeting."

I didn't wait for her to respond as I wrapped my arms around her. I hugged her tightly to express how much I missed her. I heard her let out a sigh and I know that she no longer held the same expression. I felt her relax and she wrapped her arms around me too. I inhaled and I smiled as I notice that her scent hasn't changed. It's still the same Dolce and Gabbana scent that I loved on her. I pulled away and looked into her eyes. The best part of her and that one that I loved the most.

"Wow...Do you think you can just get away with a hug? Do you realize what you've done over these years?! You have to give me a proper explanation! Why the hell have I not heard from you for six years? And why could I not contact you? When did you fucking came back home??!" She said in a familiar tone, a scolding, angry one, I may add. And I laughed at how cutely she looked even when her forehead is crinkled.

"What's funny?"

"Nothing. It's just... You haven't changed." I smiled.

Her eyes narrowed. And I know it is time. I have to explain.

"Look. I'm sorry, Babe. I was just... I just wanted to experience the outside world without any hold of life in college you know? I wanted to see how it would be like?" I lied. Of course I have greater reason than that.

I looked at her and I know she didn't buy it since had her arms crossed across her chest.

"God, Rebecca. You're still such a terrible liar. If you would choose that excuse, make sure that I don't know that you still keep in touch with Tee."

I smiled guiltily. She was always able to tell whether I was lying or not. After all these years, she's still the one who knows me better. I kept asking her how she knows but she never told me. But now, well, I guess there's a logical explanation. I looked down to avoid her gaze or should I say, her glare. Then I saw it. There it was, the reason I stayed away from her. On her left ring finger was an engagement ring. I felt a tug deep inside. Then I looked at her and smiled even if I felt something weighing on my chest.

"Come on. Don't fuss over that. I'm glad that even if I was gone, you're happy."

I held her left hand.

"There's a proof of happiness here, you see? I believe I haven't congratulated my best friend on her upcoming wedding." I smiled at her even if deep inside, I wanted to just walk away.

She smiled and let out another sigh as I pulled her again into a hug, though more loosened than the first one.

"Congratulations, Salazar."