XV

TRICIA's POV

As I enter my apartment, I held my bag in defense when I noticed that my door was unlocked. Of course, I remember that I locked it this morning when I left for work. I hear rustles in the kitchen and I slowly walked towards that area. The light was turned on and I quickly faced the intruder, ready to hit, when I recognized the person in front of me.

"Richie???"

The guy straightened when he heard me called his name.

"My God, Patricia! What on earth are you raising that big bag on me for?" He yelled.

"Because what on Earth... no, what the hell are you doing here???"

"Well, we haven't seen each other for months and I'm starting to miss you. Is it so bad to visit my dear younger sister when I miss her?" He told me and I looked at him suspiciously. That's not what vine I'm picking here.

"What is it that you're not telling me, Richie?"

"Nothing!" He denied but I narrowed my eyes on him, making it known that he cannot lie to me about it.

"Is this about dad? Did you have a fight over a silly thing again?" I asked and he stayed silent for a while.

"Well, Dad was-"

"I knew it." I cut him off.

"Patricia, can't you listen to my explanation first? This is your fault this time around, do you know that?" My brother suddenly raised his voice, scolding me.

My brother is the only one who calls me Patricia and no one else is permitted to address me like that. When he met my friends, he clearly told them that no one would call me that way. Only Tricia for them. But I laughed when he and Sky met because instantly, he liked her and permitted her to call me Rebecca too. Surprisingly, Sky didn't call me that. She too is the only one who calls me Rebecca.

"Okay. What did I do? I barely talk to dad anymore. How can I be the cause of your argument?"

"That's another issue. But this time around, he keeps telling me to convince you to have an arranged marriage."

And just like that, my jaw dropped in disbelief. Though I'm not surprised.

"What?!"

"You heard me. And at this time and century at that. We're all past these arrangements."

"And, I'm not interested even if we weren't in this century. I don't want to marry someone based on agreements between families or business politics."

"That's what I keep telling him! But ever since your last girlfriend. What was her name? Anyway, you didn't have someone in your life so I think he got worried. He kept insisting that I get you married already. And mind you, he was very persistent that I almost agreed."

Our father always becomes very persuasive whenever he wants something badly. That's why when he orders me to date someone, I have no choice but to obey. He presents really plausible arguments that I can't even find a loophole. Me, not being in favor, wouldn't suffice for a rebuttal.

"So? In the end, what did he say?"

Richie crossed his arms and pressed his back against my refrigerator door.

"You're lucky that Mom is also on your side. If she weren't, I'd be sending you back to London to meet your future wife right now."

I let out a sigh of relief as I flopped on my couch and leaned my head on it.

"Thanks bro."

Richie took a seat beside me. There's only two of us siblings and we are very close. When I left because of Sky, I went to him for comfort. At the time, he was in London for his work. So I lived with him in his apartment and through it all, he helped me moved on with my feelings with her. Though it wasn't a success, I at least got to live without thinking about her every day. Richie was harsh at first but I know that I needed that so I was grateful.