CHAPTER 4 NEW TASTE

IAN'S POV

Driving through the company's security gates, I found my usual private spot. Directly facing the reception area.
The gigantic windows, gave the best full view of the reception. On any other day, I would smirk, even laugh at the change in the environment when I drive through the gates. Not today. Not after coffee girl.
I could swear to hearing the nerves of my restless employees cracking through the windows every single time. Exciting sessions of my mornings, but again, just not today.

As usual, everyone found something more interesting to look at, greasing the journey to my personal space. I find it more surprising to find my assistant's seat empty. Sandra is never one to be late. Spotting her bag, I nod. She's in then. Unlike every morning, I avoid sitting on my chair and diving into work immediately.

I walk over to a side of the glass walls of my office.
I needed to breathe. I've always loved the view. I'm just too bossy to admit it to Sandra anytime I'm caught smiling into the distance. Its a magnificent scenery from up here. Not that I'm complaining.
(soft knocking).

IAN; Sandra if that's you, please come in

SANDRA; Good morning Sir, sorry I delayed with your coffee. hope I didn't keep you waiting for long?

IAN; No you didn't, walked in a few minutes ago. I hope it wasn't too much trouble getting my coffee? (I don't know what exactly , but Sandra just seems, extra excited for today)

SANDRA: Absolutely not Sir, instead I made a new friend..... And if you don't mind, your rescheduled meeting with the investors from Singapore and Mr. Daryl Owusu would start in 20 minutes. I would like to get the conference room ready.

New friend? This early morning?

IAN; Sure Sandra. You can do that. And thanks for the.....the...umm..... coffee Sandra.(Its different,the paper cup, there is something about it).

SANDRA; Alright. See you soon.

Staring at my wristwatch to confirm the time, I grab the coffee from where Sandra left it. Still warm like I need it to be, I drained it down my patched throat.

This is an original piece, its fresh taste doing its job. Savouring a good amount in my mouth, I turn the cup. " A DIVINE MORNING CHEER".
I've heard that before. It couldn't be. Could it? Is that......Is that a coffee and ivy drawing? No, No, this cant be happening.
Dreading what's next, I turn the cup the other way. PLEASE NO. COFFEE'S PULSE.
Is this some sort of joke? I stride into the bathroom and drain the rest of the contents into the sink. Sandra's got some explaining to do. Lets just get over with this meeting.
******************

I don't even know what to think. Since morning, Sandra has been extra oblivious about her angry boss. I can see her every movement right from my seat. Using the office intercom, I politely ask her to bring in a file I clearly don't need.

SANDRA; Sir, this is what you asked for.

IAN; Thank you Sandra....Oh, and the coffee, new taste I see.

¬¬Oh I'm sorry, should have told you earlier. Did you not like it?

¬¬Oh that's not it. It taste quite good. Just wondering why you know,you didn't get the usual.

¬¬About that., Benny's shop was surprisingly closed today. Found this new beautiful spot two streets away. close to your block actually. The coffee smells so good, the place looked extra neat like you would approve so I got a cup there. You should try her coconut cakes one of these days, Sir they..........

¬¬Thank you Sandra. That will be all. I'll call for you when the need arises.

¬¬......okay then. I'll get back to my desk.
Polite impudence !!!
********************

I haven't set eyes on Marvin today. Gathering the files I would work on at home, I get ready to leave. Its almost 8 pm. Checking out, I locate my usual parking spot and an unnecessary scene.
Marvin got his hands on one of our new interns. Using his hands to emphasize that I give him a few minutes, he whispers something in her ears, making her bubbly with idiotic sounds and a promising face.

Then. She leaves. Like leaves. Girl!!! He didn't even offer you a ride.

¬¬Yoo my man. See that. Smooth right?

¬¬Smooth my feet. Get off my car psycho. I thought you were in love this morning.

¬¬ You just don't get it I. Its not my fault. They wouldn't leave me alone.

¬¬ Yes, I understand,It must be hard and don't call me I.

¬¬ I, I love you. can't you see..........

¬¬ that's it. You are walking home......

***************************************************DONT FORGET TO VOTE GUYS