sneaking out into town, holding hands, just killing time. [H.Steinfeld]

summary: amidst the chaos of the across the spider-verse press tour, and the unavoidable PR stunts she has to do to cover up your relationship, your girlfriend finds comfort in you.

warnings: pure fluff; a few curse words here and there; anxious hailee; PR stunts; bad descriptions of new york from someone who went there once two years ago

wordcount: 1.9k

a/n: this was dedicated to one lovely tumblr anon who requested more hailee fluff + inspired by/references all of the girls you've loved before by taylor swift.

* * * * * * *

You had never been one for fate.

You've always found it romantic, of course.

The idea that every step you take is leading you toward the place you're supposed to find and the person you're supposed to be is beautiful and downright inspiring. (You're not a complete cynic, after all)

However, you had written fate off as something that only affects people in rom-coms and those trashy romance books that are all about how finding your soulmate will fix everything in your life.

So, yeah, needless to say, you weren't a huge believer.

That was the case for most of your life until everything, including the planets and the stars themselves, seemed to align in just the right way that allowed you to cross paths with the most incredible woman you've ever met. You sincerely have no idea what you did to please the cosmos so much that they decided to put you on the same path as Hailee but you are not complaining in any way.

You would do everything all over again, including all the bullshit you had to go through, if it meant you could keep calling Hailee yours at the end of the day. All the pain and loneliness of your past fades away into nothingness every second her eyes are on yours.

That isn't to say that the present doesn't still have its difficult moments, even with Hailee by your side.

Being closeted is hard enough on its own but being a closeted celebrity adds a whole new layer to such a complicated situation. You still don't fully understand why your girlfriend is so against the idea of publicly coming out (although you have your suspicions that the decision isn't hers to make at the end of the day) but you support her regardless...even when it means spending a whole night alone...in your New York City hotel room...while your girlfriend is seen having dinner with some random guy you've never seen before in your life.

It certainly isn't ideal but you know it's just one dinner and a couple of paparazzi photos. Just something simple to take the public's focus away from the fact that you and Hailee have been spotted together every single day she's been in New York. Plus, with the Across the Spider-Verse premiere a few days away, and the matching outfits already decided on, it's no wonder her team scrambled to find some way to cover up how obvious you two are getting.

You're not the biggest fan of the idea but you would do anything for your girlfriend so you sucked it up and didn't say anything when she left for dinner a few hours ago.

And that's how you ended up here, cycling between paying attention to the random movie playing on TV and scrolling through your phone in an attempt to control your growing impatience.

You're finally rewarded with the sound of the hotel door opening and you sit up from your position on the bed, eager to spend time with Hailee.

She quickly comes into view, looking as stunning as ever. She greets you with a half-smile while she begins to take off her blazer and her shoes.

"How'd it go?" You ask, your eyes scanning her face for an answer.

She sighs in response before moving to climb onto your lap once the articles of clothing are off of her body. Your arms wrap around her waist and pull her close, allowing her to rest her head in the crook of your neck. You don't press her any further but you do run your hands up and down her back in an attempt to comfort her.