get her back! [H.Steinfeld]

summary: you and hailee try to get your relationship back on track while shooting the sunkissing music video. it's easier said than done though, especially since the line between love and hate blurs more and more every day.

warnings: still a chaotic mix of angst and fluff; stubborn idiots finally admit their feelings but keep arguing because it's easier than figuring out how to make things work; mentions of crappy PR stunts; R being lowkey petty + hailee being absolutely clueless why; some metaphors get repetitive but it's part of the plot, i promise

wordcount: 1.6k

a/n: this is part two to one step forward, three steps back. slightly inspired by both get him back! and logical by olivia rodrigo because guts has taken over my life in the best of ways. thank you for all the love and the requests for a part two, i see you and i am eternally grateful to all of you. i love writing about these stubborn idiots and i can only hope you enjoy reading about them just as much <3

* * * * * * *

Working with Hailee and being in love with her are two very different things that should definitely not mix. Not just because it's incredibly unprofessional but also because it's way too easy to pretend like you're mad at each other because of the work you're doing and not the messy way you're handling being back in each other's lives.

It's immature and stupid and somehow not surprising at all considering the way you two act around each other. You both know what you want and yet neither of you wants to be the first one to take that leap. Which just leaves you with moments like these.

"You know what your problem is?" Hailee asks, her eyes narrowed and filled with a certain fire you can't quite explain.

You've been on set for the SunKissing music video for about an hour and you're both already at each other's throats. The entire week has been filled with random arguments, borderline ridiculous complaints, and total radio silence on Hailee's part about your relationship. Radio silence that should make working with her easier just like all the times before.

Instead, it's just become the newest reason for you to push her away again. And okay, maybe you're still pissed about the countless articles you've had to read about a supposed 'love triangle' because, for some reason, Hailee's PR team insists on keeping the QB story running. Everyone knows it's faker than the brunette's heterosexuality and yet you're still here.

Fighting for her attention like always.

You force yourself to push those thoughts away and focus back on the conversation at hand.

"You."

"No. You don't know how to let yourself be happy." It suddenly dawns on you that you're not arguing about the music video choreography anymore. "You can take it out on me and on the job and on whatever else you want to make yourself feel better but don't act like everything's always my fault. You're the one who said you'd give me a chance and yet you've spent the entire week looking for reasons to push me away."

She's right.

You both know that.

Of course, she's right. Because at the very top of the list of reasons why Hailee Steinfeld is the most infuriating person you've ever met is the fact that she knows you.

She understands you in ways you never thought anyone would. And it's just as terrifying as it is wonderful.

It's exactly that mix of feelings that makes you react in the only way you know how.

You lash out at her despite the voice in your head that tells you to suck it up and apologize before you take things too far. "So, if it's not your fault then whose is it? I'm not the one ignoring your existence the second you leave or letting people write articles based on ridiculous lies."