my thoughts will echo your name [H.Steinfeld]

summary: you meet your biggest crush at a party and let her slip past your fingers. thankfully, your feelings aren't as one-sided as you thought.

warnings: none; hailee being a flirt, R trying to match energies (and failing a little); light mentions of being outed; me not knowing shit about sports and pretending like i know what im talking about.

wordcount: 2.4k

a/n: another tumblr request that i absolutely loved writing. reader is a soccer player in this one and like i said i know nothing about sports so hopefully the descriptions don't feel forced. i had a great time writing this, hence the length. hope you like it <3

* * * * * * *

You weren't sure how you ended up here.

A casual night out with some of your old friends somehow turned into you being roped into going to a party fit for a famous actress, not a soccer player. Then again, getting to crash Hollywood parties was one of the less well-known perks of the job. A perk that was beginning to backfire on you.

You don't know how Zendaya managed to get the information out of you, maybe it was the drinks or the genuine joy of getting to have a conversation that didn't involve discussing game stats or strategies. You're not sure how it happened but you somehow let it slip that you've always had the biggest crush on a certain Marvel actress who caught your eye the second you walked into this stupidly crowded party.

You thought it was a harmless comment that would stay between two friends but of course, life had other plans. And by life, you meant your 5'10 friend.

You had gone to get another drink from the very inviting bar and by the time you had gotten back to your friend, she was in the middle of a conversation with said crush. You were about to turn around and head the other way when Hailee's brown eyes met yours once again. Except this time it's not from across the room.

This time, she's right in front of you...and you're definitely about to make a fool of yourself one way or another.

Zendaya notices the way the brunette's attention shifts toward you and she steps in, giving you no chance to walk away. (You don't know whether to be upset or grateful about that) She waves you over with a bright smile. "y/n, there you are. Have you two met?"

You shake your head and take the few steps that were left between you and them. You tell yourself the warmth on your cheeks is due to the wine you've been drinking and not Hailee's bright smile. "I haven't had the pleasure. It's nice to finally meet you."

"Finally, huh?" She replies with a perfectly arched eyebrow. "I didn't expect you to be a fan."

Her words make your blush grow stronger and you're suddenly incredibly glad for the lack of lighting. You rack your brain for something interesting to say and maybe it's the drinks or the easy confidence the actress oozes but you end up sounding flirtier than you expected. "We all need hobbies, right? I hope that doesn't ruin your opinion of me, though. I'd hate to lose out on my chance for an autograph."

"Hmm..." You feel weirdly exposed as her eyes trail up and down your figure. "I'll think about it."

She doesn't give you a chance to react, much less reply, and instead walks away to strike up a conversation with someone else. You wait until she's far enough away before turning to Zendaya with a dumbfounded expression on your face. "Did Hailee Steinfeld just check me out?"

"Yup. And I think she liked what she saw."

"I'm gonna pass out." You're technically joking but you're pretty sure your legs have turned to jelly from the brief exchange.