no such thing as good grief [K.Bishop]

pairing: kate bishop x parker!reader

summary: you always knew being a superhero came with a long list of dangers but it turns out you weren't quite ready to deal with someone else suffering for your mistakes.

warnings: major character death; heavy mentions of blood + injuries + grief; a huge serving of angst with a side of hurt/comfort, a dash of humor, and a sprinkle of plot; weird descriptions of fight scenes

wordcount: 3.2k

a/n: i probably should have rewatched no way home for this but shhh. any inconsistencies are just part of this other timeline because i said so and the MCU timeline is incredibly messy anyway. i very clearly got way too attached and wrote way too much but whoops, hope you enjoy <3 [also yes, may is R's mom in this but somewhere along the way, i resorted to just calling her 'may' instead 'mom' because I didn't want it to get too repetitive]

* * * * * * *
Nobody ever said being an Avenger was easy. Especially now that most members are either dead, retired, off-world, or just simply unreachable. Nobody wanted to address the fact that the safety of planet Earth now rests solely in the hands of a bunch of college students and a Russian ex-assassin.

Of course, there's still Dr. Strange and his merry band of sorcerers, including Wong, but it seems the only thing that man can successfully protect is his massive ego. It's harsh, sure, but that doesn't make it any less true.

Although, maybe you're just bitter that Stephen's soft spot for your cousin ultimately got you tangled in a mess you had no business being in.

A crack in the multiverse is bad enough but it being caused by one of Stephen's failed spells is even worse.

And of course, Peter's seniority when it comes to being part of a superpowered team means when he calls, you answer. There's also the fact that he's family and your mom would absolutely lecture you if you ignored him...again.

You really wanted to sit this one out but there was no way your girlfriend was going to let you. You tried all the tricks you knew to convince her but ultimately, her and Yelena ended up dragging you out of your apartment to help Peter fix his multiversal disaster.

"So, your plan to defeat these villains is to...not defeat them?" You question. "In what universe does that make sense?"

"Don't be a jerk, y/n/n," Kate mumbles.

You playfully roll your eyes at the archer's words, biting back a comment about how rare it is to see her actually attempting to focus on forming a plan. She's gotten a lot better at not rushing into situations but old habits die hard.

"Actually, it's May's plan," Peter says. "I know it's unconventional but I think it could work. We're the good guys, right?"

Yelena shoots you a look but you just shrug in response. Fighting with him will only lead to more problems that you're not sure you're qualified to solve. Actually, none of you are qualified for any of this.

Webs, arrows, and strong punches are not going to get you out of this one.

You swallow down your hesitation and give Peter a small nod. "Right. What do you need us to do?"

Step 1, according to your annoying Spider-Cousin, is to pick up a few materials for him while he takes the misplaced villains to Happy's condo. You don't love the idea of being an errand-girl but you already agreed to help and there's no way Kate will let you take your words back.

Her loyalty is as admirable as it is annoying. But at least you get to spend time driving around New York with your two favorite people. And by driving you really mean sitting in the back with Kate while Yelena complains about how much harder it is to drive a car than a motorcycle.