caught myself [K.Bishop]

summary: kate's competitiveness gets in the way of her seeing you for who you truly are.

warnings: technically none?; idiots in love; kate technically does knock R on their ass but no one gets hurt; yelena being an awful wingman; kate's sad puppy dog eyes; me feeling rusty af after writing so many serious essays

wordcount: 1.6k

a/n: me writing something else instead of focusing on the large pile of requests i still haven't gotten to? yeah, it's more likely than you think. i'll try to get into a somewhat normal posting schedule at some point if uni ever stops kicking my butt BUT FOR NOW, enjoy what was supposed to be a valentine's day special. also, don't worry, kissing in the crossfire part two WILL be happening!

* * * * * * *

You're not sure what's worse, being the newest member of the Young Avengers or being the member with the most obvious crush possible. It's like the universe didn't think you had enough difficulties getting used to life with your new team, it also thought you needed to juggle having the biggest crush on one of your teammates simultaneously.

Because fighting criminals daily isn't hard enough, right?

You had tried your hardest to keep your massive crush on a certain purple-loving archer a secret but your plan had gone out the window the second Yelena figured out the hidden feelings behind your lingering stares. To say she didn't understand your fascination with Kate Bishop would be an understatement but at least she tried to help...in her own, weirdly aggressive, way.

Her help mainly included making ridiculous comments at your expense. Comments that went completely over Kate's head every single time and only led to awkward silences and unanswerable questions.

You thought the Russian was on her way to giving up and letting you handle your love life problems on your own but of course, when has Yelena given up an opportunity to embarrass someone she cares about?

It's exactly Yelena's love of embarrassing you that's forced you into a situation you wouldn't be able to get out of if you tried: sparring with the purple archer herself.

Training in the same room as Kate is already bad enough, especially considering her habit of wearing gray sweatpants and a tight purple cropped shirt, but having to spar with her? While she looks that good? And she has that stupid smirk on her face because she knows she's going to win?

Nothing you could do could stop you from looking like a goddamn fool.

And that's exactly what you look like right now.

It's not bad enough that you can't concentrate enough to anticipate her punches, you also don't even know where to look because all of her is so damn attractive. It's impressive and annoying all at the same time and it's unfortunately taking up too much of your brain space right now.

You're acutely aware of Yelena's disapproving looks but you're even more aware of the constant glares Kate throws in between rapid punches. Your brain may not be working well enough for you to spar correctly but if there's one thing you can do, it's dodge...which only infuriates the archer.

"Will you quit moving?" She huffs, only barely stopping her lips from forming a frustrated pout.

"What else am I supposed to do? Let you punch me?" You reply.

"That'd be a good start, yeah."

"Ladies, quit chattering!"

You know Yelena is being annoying on purpose to get on your nerves but that doesn't stop you from turning to glare at her. Your mouth barely begins to form around the complaints you want to hurl at her when Kate takes her opportunity.