is it cool that i said all that? [H.Steinfeld]

pairing: hailee steinfeld x actress!reader

summary: doing interviews with your girlfriend is all fun and games until someone gets too comfortable with their questions.

warnings: none, just fluff; a speck of possessive hailee; two dashes of (not-so) secret relationship vibes; awkward interview moments that gave me second-hand embarrassment while writing

wordcount: 1.1k

a/n: does anyone else remember when comic-con was a big deal? yeah, me neither. so, instead of a convention-type vibe, i went the talk show route. [specifically stephen colbert because he's the only host i can honestly say i like] slowly but surely getting through all of my requests but the urge to write alpha!kate pt. 2 is starting to take over my life so...don't be surprised if i disappear for a few days and then post it out of the blue.

* * * * * * *

There are only a few things more nerve-wracking than having to sit in front of a room full of people and answer questions you're definitely not prepared for despite all the time you've spent overthinking. The only thing that could possibly make that situation more anxiety-inducing is having to do it next to someone you're dating...in secret.

It's not a well-kept secret by any means but the lack of confirmation from both parties is more than enough to have fans from both sides analyzing every single comment that gets exchanged. You don't really mind it, even though sometimes you feel like there's a target on your face.

A target in the form of looks you can't hide and smiles you don't share with anyone but Hailee.

Okay, so maybe you're incredibly obvious about your feelings for her but it still took her until after you finished filming Hawkeye to realize the truth hiding beneath all your stupid jokes. It would be easy to make fun of her for being so oblivious if you weren't exactly the same way.

It took more than a few tries but the two of you eventually gathered enough courage to be honest with each other leading to the start of quite possibly the most chaotic but most rewarding relationship you've ever had. Just because most people in your life haven't caught up yet doesn't make it any less amazing.

The thing no one prepared you for, though, is having to do talk show interviews while avoiding the topic of said relationship. It's not like either of you is genuinely trying to hide the truth, it's just easier to explore your developing feelings when there aren't a ridiculous amount of eyes trained on the pair of you.

Eyes that sometimes don't quite know how to read the room.

Which brings you back to your current situation. You and Hailee are sitting slightly too close together while doing another interview where you have to dance around spoilers while trying to get people excited for Hawkeye.

It turns out, you don't actually have to do much since seeing the two of you together seems to be more than enough to get people talking about the show.

"So, y/n, I know this is your first time doing an interview like this and I don't want to scare you away so how about we get some questions from the audience?"

The crowd erupts into cheers and you can't help but let out a nervous laugh even though you already knew this was going to happen. Being notified ahead of time still isn't enough to stop you from worrying about what this segment will bring.

"What's the worst that could happen right?" You joke, sharing a look with Hailee who merely shakes her head at you.

Of course, the list of "worst things that could happen" is quite long when it comes to people asking you whatever they want.

And right now, the way the brunette hasn't let go of your hand since you sat down is definitely at the top of everyone's list of questions. You're sure no one is surprised by how affectionate she can be sometimes but it's unusual to see her happily holding onto someone in a room like this one.

You swallow down your nervousness in order to focus on the questions that get thrown your way. Most of them are, in all honesty, softballs. Things like,"What was your favorite part about shooting Hawkeye?" and "Who's the strongest Avenger?"

You're thankful for the easy questions until the humor your responses carry inspires some...bolder comments. Stephen lets everyone know the next question will be the last and the lucky fan who's chosen takes her chance.

"Marry me?"

The easy atmosphere of the room leaves you completely unprepared for the question and the only real response you can offer at first is a laugh. A laugh that earns you a grin from the bold fan and a glare from your unamused girlfriend.

"Yeah, sure," you reply with a shrug. "My manager will email you my schedule."

Your response is just as unexpected as the question which just makes the audience laugh harder.

There's a slightly smug look on your face that disappears the second you turn to look at Hailee.

She's an actress, and a fantastic one at that, so she hides her emotions well. Unfortunately, you're an expert at reading her and the lack of a smile on her face tells you all you need to know.

"Too bad you have a very busy schedule," she says through a chuckle that sounds more forced than anything you've ever heard out of her.

"True, true. I'm a very responsible dogsitter and I don't think Martini would be fine with me leaving her for so long."

"Does she get jealous easily?" Stephen clearly picks up on you trying to change the topic but Hailee's not done voicing her displeasure.

"Her owner does." The words are a mere mumble but the microphone picks her up loud and clear.

Your eyes widen and her comment renders you utterly speechless. It's not that the words are a complete surprise, you just can't believe she actually said that in the middle of an interview.

She realizes what she said a few seconds later and her soft eyes meet yours. There's a layer of nervousness in them that she can't quite hide and the sight makes your heart clench. You can't do much to reassure her though so you merely squeeze her hand three times and let the interview continue.

The minutes feel like hours but you eventually wrap up and are allowed to go back into your shared dressing room. Hailee all but drags you inside and you close the door behind you once you're in the safety and privacy of those four walls.

"I shouldn't have said that," she blurts out, her hands emphasizing her words and the anxiety they carry. "I just, I don't know what came over me. It was stupid and I'm-"

"Lee." You quickly cross the small space between you and grab onto her slightly shaky hands. "You don't have to apologize, everything's fine."

She blinks a few times but the action doesn't get rid of the genuine surprise that's etched onto her features. "You...You're serious?"

"Incredibly. I thought it was cute that you got jealous like that."

Her usual playful energy comes back the instant she realizes you're not upset. And it very quickly becomes clear she's not actually upset either.

"Excuse me, I wasn't jealous. I just thought it was a lame question."

"Mhmm, right." You let go of her hands in order to wrap your arms around her waist and pull her close. "I'll make sure to remind you of that if I ever propose."

She leans in to kiss you until her brain catches up to your joke. There's a hint of a pout on her lips that makes you chuckle.

"What do you mean if?"

You don't bother with replying and instead kiss her again, knowing your actions will be more than enough to soothe her worries.