my rotten mind and how much it worships you [H.Steinfeld]

summary: you and hailee slowly figure out your feelings for each other and start to do something about them instead of arguing.

warnings: a bit of everything, fluff, angst, and spice; slightly suggestive themes but no actual smut; still technically enemies-to-lovers but more focused on the lovers part; PR messes + glass closets; still 100% inspired by lacy...and rock bottom

wordcount: 1.6k

a/n: this is part two of the sweetest torture one could bear. i had a bunch of scattered ideas for this but i got a request that truly encouraged me to write this so shoutout to them. i tried to lean harder into the fluff than the angst but uh...well, i have a lot of thoughts, okay? rubix stop getting attached to your one-shots challenge.

* * * * * * *
The morning sun peeks through the thick curtains of your hotel room, bringing in enough light to rouse you from the depths of sleep.

You groan and attempt to roll over to hide from the warm light that fills the room. Your attempt massively fails however and that's when you realize the weight pressed up right against your back...along with the arm loosely draped over your waist.

The realization is more than enough for you to shake off the drowsiness that clings to your mind. It takes a few seconds but then, all at once, the memories of the night before come back. Hailee offering to let you sleep in the one bed in the room instead of the couch, her outburst of emotions, the easy conversation that flowed, and...the kiss.

The one kiss that eventually led to a lot more.

You shiver just thinking about the things the two of you got up to after that. The soft looks and careful touches you won't be able to take back even if you wanted to. Which, you're not sure if you want to.

You're not sure about a lot right now.

All you really know is being in Hailee's arms feels better than you ever thought possible. And you really want to hate the feeling but you can't. Just like you can't hate her despite how much easier everything would be if you did.

"I can hear you overthinking from here."

The sound of her voice makes you jump out of your own head and back into the present. You can practically see the grin that's definitely on her face right now, the one that makes her eyes warm and her face soft.

"I'm not overthinking," you mumble in response. 

"Right..." She, surprisingly, doesn't argue any further than that.

You're clearly not the only one whose feelings have gotten incredibly complicated. Although, maybe she's actually taking your advice to heart and going after what she wants.

It's hard to believe you're what she truly wants, though.

The brunette makes some sort of noise, something between a sigh and a groan, before you feel her lips against the bare skin of your shoulder. She's gotten far too good at reading you in the span of this stupid vacation.

Her soft kisses feel incredible but you still haven't fully shed your need to push her buttons whenever possible. "If I would've known you'd be this touchy in the morning, I would've slept on the couch."

"Mmm, has anyone ever told you you're a horrible liar?" Her comment is mumbled against your skin and you actively have to stop yourself from groaning.

"You had no problem believing I hated you."

"So...that was all a lie?"

Shit.

You walked yourself right into that one. No amount of witty comments and half-assed jokes are going to be enough to get you out of this. So, you settle on silence. You'd rather not open the Pandora's box of hidden feelings you've been hiding under all your sarcasm.