make you mine this season [K.Bishop]

pairing: kate bishop x barton!reader

summary: a badly timed snowstorm leaves you unable to make it to the barton farm for christmas. thankfully, a certain archer shows up to keep you company.

warnings: none, i think? just really cheesy, holiday rom-com type of fluff [i say this as if i've watched any holiday rom-com besides happiest season and the holiday 😶]; kate's a dork [wow, what a shock]; idiots in love; past mentions of bishova; bad jokes?; snowstorm; cheesy gifts bc kate can't talk about her feelings

wordcount: 1.5k

a/n: HI, EVERYONE, I'M ALIVE! and it wouldn't be a rubix fic if it WASN'T posted a little late 😅 i hope you all had a fantastic holiday season and that you'll accept this very cheesy Christmas fic <3 [and maybe that last line is very self-indulgent but that's none of your business, if you know you know]

* * * * * * *

You're no stranger to loneliness but things were bordering on ridiculous. Not only have you spent the past two years ridiculously in love with a certain purple-loving archer, you're also on the verge of spending Christmas by yourself thanks to the worst-timed snowstorm of all time.

And maybe the first part of your unfortunate situation is your fault but that doesn't stop the waves of disappointment from crashing into you.

This year was supposed to be different.

That's what you had told yourself in an effort to convince yourself to tell the young archer about your feelings for her. It was a strategy that almost worked...until a certain blonde decided to accept Kate's offer for drinks...which turned into a date...which turned into a second date...which turned into the longest four months of your life.

You could never be one to be mad at someone else's happiness but that didn't stop you from feeling absolutely defeated every time you saw them together. There was no one to blame except you for the brunette's lack of knowledge about your feelings and that only made everything worse.

It was impossible to ignore the ache in your chest when your eyes met Kate's or the heavy jealousy that clouded most of your interactions with her. Maybe if you had been less into your head about the whole thing, you would have realized the way the archer's smile never seemed to reach her eyes.

Eyes that followed you every time you walked away.

You never noticed the traces of darkness that clung to her usually radiant persona but you were the first person at her side when the break up happened. She offered little to no details besides an awkward joke about the relationship ending almost exactly where it started right at the Rockefeller tree.

It was messed up in a way that made Kate want to make as many jokes about it as possible which resulted in you laughing at things that definitely weren't funny and were just sad. Not as sad as spending the holidays completely alone and hopelessly in love with your best friend, though.

You were sure the archer was already well on her way to your dad's farm which leaves you completely unprepared when the door to your apartment swings open to reveal her. She almost drops the key in her hand the second she realizes you're home.

"What're you doing here?" You question, doing your best to pretend you don't see the gift bags she tries to hide behind her back.

You can practically see the wheels turning in her head before she's finally able to respond. "What am I doing here? What are you doing here? Why aren't you at Clint's?"

It's hard not to laugh at the incredulous look on her face. No matter how many times you see it, it's still as endearing as the first time. Back when she was just your dad's protege and you hadn't spent so many of your days learning the ins and outs of her complicated personality.