stars by the pocketful [H.Steinfeld]

summary: going to crappy award shows was never something you found enjoyable. lucky for you, your girlfriend takes it upon herself to change that.

warnings: none, just fluff; very vague mentions of anxiety; vague descriptions of famous people being jerks; i still can't write endings

wordcount: 1.7k

a/n: another tumblr request. this is technically set during the 2024 grammy's but it's not very expanded on...and yes, the taylor cameo serves no real purpose besides making me laugh. hope you enjoy <3

* * * * * * *

There were so many better things to be doing on a Sunday night. Maybe going to the movie theater or to a random concert or even just taking a stroll down the beach. Anything and everything would be better than being at an overwhelmingly loud (yet underwhelming in all the other categories) award show.

You know you should enjoy events like these, not only is it a part of your job but it's an opportunity to celebrate the unique talent that fills every industry you happen to either admire or be a part of. However, they're also the one place where all your emotions are capitalized, no matter how big or small your reactions are.

Again, it's part of the job. But it doesn't mean you have to like it.

Although, you will admit, out of all the award shows you've been to since meeting Hailee, the Grammys are usually the most bearable. Maybe it's the people involved or the performances or the bright smile on your girlfriend's face that no amount of chaos can wipe away.

You can't say that you're as unaffected as she is but you're definitely making an effort to focus on the good instead of the bad...and there's a lot of bad in your opinion.

You don't get the chance to dwell on those thoughts for longer than a few seconds since Hailee slips her hand into yours and gives it a reassuring squeeze. You turn your head away from the stage to find her looking at you, her eyebrows furrowed as if she's studying each and every one of your features. You don't have to say a word for her to notice your discomfort.

She's way too good at reading your emotions, especially at moments like these.

She leans in toward you while the current performance comes to an end but the applause that fills the room is nothing compared to the sound of her voice. "We can leave if you want."

You shake your head almost as soon as you hear her whispered words. "I'm fine."

She opens her mouth, most likely to point out the fact that you're lying, but the cameras cut to commercial and the room comes alive once again. It's not the commotion that distracts her but the tap on her shoulder that's followed by a friendly voice.

This time you're the one who gives her hand a reassuring squeeze before she turns to face Taylor. The blonde in question offers you a warm smile before sweeping your girlfriend up in a lively conversation. You watch the exchange for a few seconds, completely in awe of the way Hailee seems to come alive while she talks about her music.

"I'll be right back," you whisper to her, not wanting to distract her.

Your hand slips out of her grasp before you make a beeline for the closest bathroom. Unfortunately for you, your path to peace and quiet is blocked by too many people who definitely don't like you. You're not sure what part of your personality isn't up to their standards today but you do your best to ignore their disdainful looks while you slip past them.

Ignoring their looks is easy. Ignoring their not-so-quiet comments proves to be significantly harder.

You've been in this business long enough to know you shouldn't waste your time trying to prove yourself to people. Especially people who don't care enough about you to actually try to get to know you and instead get their information from social media or made-up articles from untrustworthy sources.