keep on coming back for more [H.Steinfeld]

pairing: hailee steinfeld x musician!reader

summary: you don't really like surprises...unless they involve a certain brunette and your favorite song.

warnings: none, just fluff; me pretending like i know what i'm talking about when i really don't; R is technically a guitar player but that's not expanded upon; like two seconds of nervous hailee

wordcount: 1k

a/n: messed around with the pov on this one again so...yeet. i also did the most scuffed research on the voice, australia so forgive me if it sucks/if things are too vague. this fic was also just an excuse for me to scream into the void about rock bottom because it's one of hailee's best songs, argue with the wall. [but not the version with dnce because...men. do i have to say anything else?] hope you enjoy <3

* * * * * * *

Hailee knows being nervous about this is ridiculous but that doesn't stop her heart from thundering in her chest or her hands from growing clammy. Usually, those things are a sign of excitement but today, the butterflies in her stomach feel a little more uneasy than usual.

It's been more than a few years since the last time she performed this song live and, if she's being completely honest with herself, she's worried about what you'll think. Surprises aren't her strong suit, especially not when they involve your work but it's been a few months since you left L.A to start working on The Voice, Australia and she hasn't had a chance to come see you until now.

She was originally just going to visit you on set and let that be the surprise but she may have texted Rita Ora about her idea to fly to Sidney to see you and then one thing led to another and now she's here. Minutes away from pretending to be yet another blind audition for the show.

Everyone had agreed it would be a great way to get more people to watch the show, or at the very least the clip that would be posted on YouTube later, but she didn't care about any of that. She just cared about getting to see your smile again.

"You're on in five."

The brunette nods in response, practically counting down the seconds until the two of you are finally reunited. Dramatic, sure, but also sweet in a way that makes you melt every time.

While Hailee's getting ready for her surprise performance, you are doing your best to act like you're paying complete attention to whatever 'argument' Rita and Jessica are having to convince the most recent auditioner to join their team.

You've been a witness to these 'arguments' a couple of times since filming started but you always stay out of them. Mainly because they're fun to watch but also because you're technically the new kid on the block and you have some massive shoes to fill. Keith Urban-sized shoes to be specific.

You still don't know how you went from playing the guitar in your room to being a professional musician to being a judge on The Voice but you're not about to complain. That doesn't mean the job isn't tiring but you can't afford to look like you don't know what you're doing.

The young singer ends up choosing Rita's team and you're given a quick break as the crew gets everything ready for the next contestant. You resist the urge to check your phone, knowing all it will do is make you miss your girlfriend. This wasn't the first time the two of you were doing long distance but it never gets easier.

You don't get the chance to dwell on your thoughts too long since filming resumes. You straighten your back in the surprisingly comfortable chair and prepare yourself for the next blind audition.

A few seconds go by before you hear the beginning notes of a song you know like the back of your hand. The smile on your face gives away your growing excitement at getting to hear someone cover a song you love so much.

You're honestly a little surprised it's taken so long for someone to audition using one of Hailee's songs. It's a shock but a welcome one for sure. Just because they're using one of your girlfriend's songs doesn't mean you'll go easy on them, though. You're easygoing but extremely picky when you want to be. And you'll be extra picky just to honor the one you love more than anything else.

"What are we fighting for? Seems like we do it just for fun..."

Your eyes widen at the sound of that voice.

For a second you think you're imagining things but there's no possible way you could be wrong. You could be underwater with a bag over your head and still manage to recognize your girlfriend's voice.

"Breathe deep, bottle it up..."

You don't waste another second in pressing the red button that allows you to turn around and see Hailee in all her glory. Your breath gets caught in your throat at the sight of her and suddenly, everything else around you disappears. The lights, the audience, even your fellow judges, all you can see and hear is her.

Her brown eyes are trained on you and you have no doubt she's feeling exactly what you're feeling. The smile on her face tells you all you need to know about where her mind is. "Oh, we're on the right side of rock bottom..."

She can't hold herself back any longer and she takes a few long strides, walking down the stage steps and reaching your chair with a smile so bright it rivals every star you've ever seen. Her hand reaches out toward you and you take it without hesitation, allowing her to pull you toward her.

The moment might go viral later but neither of you is focused on anything except the other.

"You're the best kind of bad something," she sings, her face mere inches away from yours. "'Cause we keep on coming back for more."

This time, you're the one who can't hold back. You wait for her to pull her microphone away before you lean in and capture her lips in a kiss filled with all the love you've had to keep inside since you left L.A.

You have no doubt the studio probably wanted more words exchanged and overly dramatic shocked expressions but all those complaints will come later. Hell, you'll even reshoot the whole thing if it means getting to spend time with Hailee on set. But all of that can wait until later.

"Warn a person next time," you whisper with a grin once the two of you part for air.

"Where's the fun in that, babe?"

You playfully roll your eyes at her, pretending to be annoyed when you're truly overjoyed to hear her teasing remarks in person again. "You're the worst."

"You love me," she replies with a shrug.

She starts to move away but you pull her back in for another quick kiss before she can get too far.

You hear the commotion that comes with getting ready for filming to resume but you're too busy giving Hailee all your attention to care. You're incredibly grateful for the opportunity to be here, and you absolutely love your job, but your girlfriend will always come first.