like words left unsaid [H.Steinfeld]

summary: hailee can't ever seem to keep her eyes off of you and you can't really complain about that.

warnings: none; fluff, no plot; hailee being a dork in love and R teasing her about it despite being just as whipped; me pretending i understand car stuff; weird pov shenanigans again

wordcount: 1k

a/n: this is an unofficial sequel to remind me i'm alive because i can and i want to :) my hailee fics have lowkey been flopping lately and i can't even be mad because she's just so...confusing lately. and i think it shows in the way i write her nowadays. that being said, i attempted to write pure fluff with her again so we'll see how this goes, hope you enjoy <3

* * * * * * *
"This is so boring, how the hell do you guys spend hours doing this?" Hailee complains for the fifth time in the past twenty minutes.

Her comment makes you laugh, mainly because no one asked her to join you and Griffin while you do a full tune-up on your beloved Corvette but she refuses to leave despite how boring she seems to find it. Her stubbornness has more to do with you than anything else but you pretend not to notice in favor of teasing her.

"You're free to leave if you want," you reply.

Griffin chuckles but doesn't say anything. He very clearly stays out of things for the sake of his own sanity, his head ducked under the hood of your car.

You, on the other hand, decide to take a step back and let him continue his inspection of your battery. Your hands subconsciously attempt to smooth out the wrinkles on your tank top which leads to you leaving oil stains on the fabric.

You mumble out a few curse words and motion for the brunette to hand you a towel.

Hailee's focus is somewhere else though. And she's never been more thankful she decided to stick around to watch you tinker with your car all afternoon.

She swore it was only because she wanted to spend more time with you but that idea didn't really cross her mind until she saw what you were going to wear while messing around with said car. Your beauty has never been something she's questioned before and yet it's not until moments like these that she's particularly aware of it.

The sight of you in a tank top is more than enough to make her heart race but add in the way your hands effortlessly grip the ridiculous amount of wrenches you have to use and she's pretty sure her feelings for someone have never been as obvious as they are right now.

"Earth to Hailee," you speak up, a wide grin on your face. "You gonna give me a hand?"

Your words snap her out of her daze, her brown eyes wide from the shock of being caught blatantly checking you out. "I, uh..."

You can't stop yourself from laughing at her reaction although you hold in your urge to tease her until later.

Despite having been dating for a few months, you still haven't told her brother about your relationship. It's not a secret per say, it's just easier not to have to deal with his jokes while you two figure out how to make things work.

"Just go grab a towel from the kitchen," Griffin says. "All the ones we have here are dirty already."

"Sounds good."

You stare expectantly at Hailee, who takes a few seconds to understand what you mean before following you back into the house.

"You're going to have to work on those heart-eyes if you don't want anyone to catch on," you tease her the second you're inside and away from Griffin's prying ears.

"Shut up," she replies with an overdramatic pout. "It's not my fault my girlfriend is so attractive."

"Flattery will get you everywhere, Steinfeld."

You walk toward the sink, her laughter following after you, and attempt to wash away the oil that sticks to your hands. You fail for the most part but at least you don't feel as gross anymore.

The second you turn around again, Hailee's hands are on your waist, pulling you in toward her. You welcome the embrace and eagerly wrap your arms around her neck in response.

It hasn't even been two hours since the last time you two were alone yet here you are acting like you're starved for affection.

"Hi," she mumbles while she leans forward to press her forehead against yours.

It still baffles you how soft she truly is. She plays the part of a self-assured celebrity incredibly well for someone who seeks out your loving gaze so often.

She's a beautiful tapestry of mix-matched personality traits and you're the lucky fool who gets to spend hours admiring each and every piece of her.

"Hey there," you whisper in response. "Can I help you with something?"

"Let me think about it." The words aren't fully out of her mouth before her lips find yours.

You smile into the kiss, letting her pull you impossibly closer to her while the air around you fills with the love you can't quite hide.

A love you've technically not spoken out loud yet. It's not that you're not happy to feel it, you've just been caught up in some other, more passionate, aspects of being with Hailee.

Plus, if you're being honest, you've been in love with her so long, you sometimes forget how new this still is. You've known her for years but now you get to know her better, in ways that make you regret hiding the truth for so long.

"I've got an idea," she announces when she pulls away from you.

"I'm all ears, babe."

She can't resist giving you another quick kiss before speaking again. "How about we ditch my brother and go get something to eat? I'm starving and I don't think I can watch you mess around with that car any longer."

"I thought you were enjoying the view though?"

She rolls her eyes at you, the tiniest hint of a blush spreading along her cheeks. "I'd like to enjoy it somewhere more private."

A million responses cross your brain yet you go for that one that will annoy her the most. "You'll have to pull Griffin away from my car for that."

"Way to ruin the moment." She doesn't break the embrace despite her complaints. "And I thought you guys weren't done yet."

"We were technically done half an hour ago but your brother loves my car and you love checking me out so it seemed like a win-win," you reply with a smirk and shrug.

"y/n!" Her over-dramatic reaction makes both of you burst out laughing. "You're the worst."

"You love me." The words slip out faster than you can even think.

Thankfully, she doesn't give you the chance to panic.

She merely smiles as if you've said the words a thousand times before. And in a way, you have.

Which just makes it all the sweeter when she says,"Yeah. I do...but you're still a jerk."

"We'll have to agree to disagree on that."