you can see it with the lights out [K.Bishop]

summary: enduring a storm and a subsequent power outage with kate bishop by your side might not be the worst thing in the world.

warnings: none, just tooth-rotting fluff; storm + power outage = kate bishop being an adorable dork; very light mentions of anxiety and small insecurities

wordcount: 1.5k

a/n: i had so many other things to write but i really wanted to do some good old-fashioned fluff. i'm always so tempted to turn my kate fics into angst or hurt/comfort or smut so this was a nice change of pace. although you could argue this isn't just fluff but shhh. i just think golden retriever gf kate is the best kate <3 [and i would 100% cry if someone did something cute and dorky like this for me]

* * * * * * *

Storms and power outages have become synonymous with life in New York for you. Any time the sky fills with those dark clouds, you know to go stock up on candles and blankets since the power will most likely go out in your apartment.

You're not sure if it's a safety precaution or if the power lines around your building always end up getting damaged, you just know the routine you've come to adopt over the years.

A routine that's never included Kate Bishop until now.

You've been dating the brunette archer for a few months and she's somehow become the one constant in your life that you didn't know you needed but have grown to adore.

Whether it's randomly showing up at your apartment with a bag of takeout or staying on the phone with you until you fall asleep, Kate always does her best to be there for you and provide the support she knows you're still too shy to ask for.

She thinks it's cute that you still get tongue-tied around her despite how much of a dork she truly is when she's with you. You, on the other hand, think she's a jerk for pulling that damn smirk onto her face and making you flustered every chance she gets.

So maybe you're a little head over heels in love with Kate and maybe she's a little too proud of herself for that, despite the fact that neither of you have spoken your true feelings out loud yet, but the two of you make a perfect pair. A pair that's only rivaled by power outages and your apartment building.

There had been a heavy rain warning for the past few days but it wasn't until this morning that the sky filled up with borderline black clouds. Clouds that told you your power wouldn't be on for much longer.

You had accepted your fate, gone on a brisk walk to the nearest grocery store, and shot your girlfriend an apologetic text about having to postpone your picnic date. The brunette had left you on seen but you didn't think anything of it since Kate's attention span can sometimes be shorter than Lucky's, which is saying something.

Most of the day flies by in a blur of reading and watching your comfort show while listening to the heavy rain falling against your windows. It's not until you hear a knock on your front door that your normal routine is interrupted.

"Kate?" Your eyes widen as you open the door and come face to face with your rain-soaked girlfriend. "What are you doing here?"

"Well, I hated that we had to cancel our date so I decided to bring the date to you!" She proudly holds up a takeout bag not-so-carefully stuffed inside a light brown picnic basket. "I wanted to cook something but you can imagine how well that went."

There's something about the way she's looking at you with that sparkle in her eyes and a huge smile on her face that makes you tear up a little. There's nothing incredibly extravagant about her actions but the feelings behind every one of her choices makes your heart flutter in your chest in a way you've never felt before.