can you see right through me? [K.Bishop]

pairing: kate bishop x barton!reader

summary: you're notoriously bad at archery and somehow even worse at keeping yourself together around a certain kind-eyed archer.

warnings: none, just fluff with a side of romantic tension; kate being a flirt without realizing; very platonic touching [...not]; me pretending like i completely understand how archery works

wordcount: 1.7k

a/n: for every one fic i write where kate is confident and cocky, i have to write another one where she's dorky and awkward and confident and cocky. that's just the law of the universe. hope you enjoy <3

* * * * * * *

You wouldn't say you're the world's worst archer but you're definitely close to the top of the list. It's something that shouldn't bother you, and maybe it wouldn't if you were anybody else. Unfortunately, you're Hawkeye's oldest daughter and you also happen to be the absolute worst at archery.

Even your youngest brother has better aim than you and he's not even strong enough to pick up a bow.

Your dad swears your lack of skill doesn't bother him but it certainly bothers you. Especially when it results in him taking on Kate Bishop as his protege instead of you.

The worst part is, Kate's incredibly sweet so you can't even hate her for being everything you're not. Her love for archery is genuine, and so is her admiration for Clint.

And, okay, fine, maybe she also happens to be attractive and caring and far too charming for her own good.

You hate to admit it but you have the biggest crush on the brunette archer and it's only gotten worse since she kindly offered to teach you how to properly shoot a bow. Your dad complained, not because he didn't want you to learn, but because he was offended that you seriously thought Kate would be a better teacher than him. (You didn't have the heart to tell him the real reason you accepted the brunette's offer)

So, against your better judgment, you've been hanging out with Kate every day, letting her talk your ear off about the 'proper techniques' involved and what the best bows for beginners are. She's clearly more excited about all of this than you are but getting to see her so often isn't something you're going to complain about.

"y/n, you're not even listening." Kate's teasing tone brings you back to the matter at hand. Well, more like the bow in your hand.

"Sorry," you mutter, hoping she can't notice the nervousness in your stance.

She does, unfortunately for you, because she's far too observant despite her scattered attention span. What she doesn't realize, though, is that she's the reason for said nervousness.

"You're shaking too much," she comments. "Let me help you."

You open your mouth to tell her you don't need her help but all your words die in your throat the second she steps closer to you.

She's trying to be helpful, you know that, and yet she achieves the complete opposite. Her front presses up against your back as her hands land on top of yours to stabilize your movements. "Relax. You're trying to guide the arrow, not control it."

You attempt to listen to her advice but relaxing is the last thing on your mind right now. Every muscle in your body is acutely aware of the brunette's presence which causes your heart to beat faster than should ever be possible. The position you're in doesn't help and soon, you really do start shaking from the tension of drawing the arrow back.

She counts down for you, something that should not be as attractive as it is, and you finally let go of the bowstring and shoot the arrow into the target. A target that you miss by several feet.