Prologue

"Annie, wait!" Her mother's voice sounded from behind, but the wind carried her words away.

"Fine!" Ann halted and leaned against a sturdy rock. This spot marked the final turn of the trail before reaching the mountain peak, providing some respite from the relentless wind.

Below, Ann's mother was ascending the narrow mountain path. Her vibrant red woolen shawl resembled a giant poppy flower amidst the somber gray stones, eliciting a smile from Ann.

As she awaited her mother's arrival, Ann shielded her eyes to take in the breathtaking landscape below. The mountains were a sight to behold, their beauty stunning. The sky stretched across the horizon in a flawless shade of blue, adorned by the brilliant diamond-like glow of the Sun. Three rivers meandered through the rocky terrain, cascading down into magnificent waterfalls. The sun's rays danced upon the splashes, creating a myriad of miniature rainbows.

Her hometown, Mountville, nestled between the distant peaks, came into view. Ann had become familiar with the landscape during her previous visits, allowing her to discern her uncle Gregory Storm's house with attentive observation. And there it stood, with its distinctive greenish-blue roof, perched on the outskirts of town, gleaming under the radiant daylight.

"Annie..." Her mother approached, gasping for breath. "You shouldn't run so fast. You might slip –"

"I'm fine, Mom." Ann flashed her a cheerful smile. "And look, I found Uncle Greg's house!"

She chuckled. "Of course you did. Greg has one of the largest houses in town. But what a waste of space!"

Ann rolled her eyes. Her uncle Greg was a successful businessman and one of the kindest individuals she had ever known. However, her mother never missed an opportunity to criticize him for not having a family. "Maybe he never found his true love," Ann suggested.

"He never searched hard enough. I've known him for most of my life, and he never gave it a chance!"

Ann shook her head. Convincing her mother would be a futile endeavor. It was better to divert the conversation before their innocent discussion escalated into an argument. She shifted her attention to the awe-inspiring landscape surrounding them. "Uncle Greg knows many legends about the dragons that once inhabited this place. It's really sad they're no longer here."

"Dragons are independent creatures," her mother explained as she wrapped herself tighter in her shawl. "I suppose they left because of us humans. Once we settled in these mountains, the dragons abandoned their caves."

Ann's eyes sparkled with longing. "I wish I could meet a dragon someday."

"Perhaps one day you will. But for now, let's stay focused. We have an important mission to fulfill, remember?"

"I can't wait to witness my powers in action!" Ann turned and sprinted towards the mountain peak, eager to embrace the invigorating wind she was destined to tame, or at least attempt to.

Reaching the peak, Ann discarded her jacket, allowing the cold gusts of wind to whip against her bare shoulders. She extended her arms outwards, closing her eyes and surrendering herself to the power of nature, prepared to merge with it.

The wind roared, its force akin to hundreds of icy needles piercing her skin. Ann regulated her breathing, willing the wind's touch to soften. She conjured an image of a cozy fireplace, its gentle flames radiating warmth from within. Standing with her arms outstretched, she persisted until the air movements became more soothing.

Opening her eyes, Ann noticed a sudden stillness, as if someone had just closed a window nearby. Another change became apparent – the rocks beneath her feet appeared dull.