Chapter 22. Obsession

The restaurant bustled with activity as the waitress poured a thick, brown liquid into Theo's chubby glass. He took a deep breath, trying to ignore the nagging thought of how much of his monthly salary this glass represented.

Across from him, Urchin sat fidgeting with anticipation. Theo couldn't blame his friend for celebrating his triumph; after all, Urchin had won their bet. And Theo had lost.

His investigation had come to an end. Upon returning to Middle Lake, he had hurriedly checked the post office, hoping to find some trace of John. But alas, he had found nothing. That damn parcel had been sent to Gregory Storm by none other than himself. What an embarrassing fiasco!

Urchin raised his glass. "To our victories! May the Light triumph over all shadows!"

Theo raised his glass in silence and took a sip. The whiskey tasted of old oak bark and the scorching summer sun. Who would have thought that the taste of failure could be so tart?

Urchin delicately set his partially consumed glass aside and picked up his fork. Before him, his medium-rare steak emitted steam. "Could you please try not to appear so gloomy? That adorable waitress might think there's something wrong with her service or the food."

Theo lightly touched his steak with the tip of his knife. It appeared perfectly cooked and likely delicious, but his appetite had vanished in the face of yet another dead end. Now, he doubted he would ever lay eyes on Ann again. He had only agreed to this dinner as part of his forfeit. Theo had lost the bet, and he had to come to terms with that loss. "I'm sorry. I just despise feeling trapped."

Urchin chewed his food and offered an encouraging smile. "As my father always says, 'Every problem has a solution if you approach it from the right angle.'"

"What angle?" Theo dropped his fork, causing it to clatter loudly against the marble floor. Disapproving glances from nearby diners didn't faze him. "If only you could advise me on how to return to Mountville without getting fired."

"Well, let's start from where your conflict with John escalated," Urchin suggested. "So, John called the chief and claimed that his previous complaint hadn't been addressed. He also suspected that I was the one who had answered his initial call."

"That's what he told me already," Theo replied.

Urchin raised his index finger. "Hold on. Little did our friend John know that I had spoken to the chief before his second call."

"Why? I recall you promising to hold his complaint for twenty-four hours."

"I know... But I had a hunch. I sensed that John wouldn't just let it go. He seemed too preoccupied when I spoke to him."

"Alright... So, what exactly did you say to the chief?"

"I explained that it was a minor misunderstanding. I assured him that you had gone there based on my suggestion."

Theo's eyes widened. "But we never officially opened this case. Besides, I don't even work in Middle Lake, so you can't give me orders. Why did you put yourself in such a difficult position?"

"I didn't," Urchin countered. "On the contrary, I expressed my concern about the letter from Ann Storm. I said you volunteered to check on Ann to ensure her safety. My intention was to show that your volunteering wouldn't waste our resources and would strengthen the reputation of our Guardian House. Eventually, the chief appreciated my initiative. Furthermore, I proposed expanding this practice by creating a volunteer group to ensure safety in smaller towns."

Theo smiled, impressed by his friend's ability to turn any problem to his advantage. He wished he could be as resourceful as Urchin. "Well done! But what about the recording that John tried to blackmail me with when he caught me with Ann?"