Chapter 4. Prophetic Dream

In the morning, Ann paced her room, her gaze repeatedly drawn to her nightstand. There, her engagement ring shimmered in the bright sun rays, intensifying her guilt. Last night, she had hastily removed it upon returning home, but now, all her fears seemed foolish.

John wasn't a bad guy. He had simply adhered to the old tradition and sought Uncle Greg's approval before proposing. She must have broken his heart by evading him last night.

Ann sank onto the corner of her bed, burying her face in her hands. Uncle Greg had wished her well, offering unwavering support since the loss of her parents. Undoubtedly, he desired her to be with someone respectable, like John. She only needed to summon the courage to face him and apologize. If I only was that brave!

A soft knock on the door startled Ann, causing her to flinch.

The door creaked open, and Uncle Greg entered. His round face radiated with joy. "Morning! How are you feeling?"

Ann stood up and rushed into Uncle Greg's embrace. He was a chunky man, often resembling a giant plush teddy bear. His attire was always soft, and his confident presence had a soothing effect, just like now. "I'm so sorry for yesterday," she murmured.

His large palm gently stroked her back. "Don't apologize. Nowadays, people should fall in love first before considering marriage. Not the other way around."

Ann looked up at him, her voice filled with uncertainty. "Do you think I can fall in love with him?"

"Well, that's something I can't say for certain. You see, I'm confident that John will make a good husband. But on the other hand, any successful relationship requires mutual trust and respect, which seems to be lacking between the two of you. I just hope you will give him a chance."

Ann walked back to her nightstand and gazed at the engagement ring, her mind full of doubts. "I don't see anything in him. He's just the guy I grew up with."

"But you used to like him," Uncle Greg reminded her.

"That was a long time ago. We've both changed since then."

He nodded in understanding before walking over to the windowsill. He picked up a tulip with a broken stem from the vase. Uncle Greg was always attentive to small details, fixing flaws and striving for perfection in everything he did. While this trait served him well in his work, it often posed challenges in his relationships.

"Do you know why I never was in a relationship?" he asked, his voice tinged with a hint of sadness.

"Why?'

He let out a heavy sigh. "Because I was never brave enough. At first, I was too afraid of being judged for my choice of a partner, and then I grew too old for it." He smelled the tulip and tucked it into his chest pocket. "There is nothing perfect in this world, unfortunately. Most of the time, you have to make do with what you have and make the best of it."

Ann regarded him with doubt in her eyes. "But what about magic? The spark you feel when you meet someone special?"

He offered her a gentle smile. "Annie, you've lived in Mountville and never had the desire to leave. If you haven't met someone 'special' yet, chances are you never will. I'm sorry, it's just a matter of statistics."

She let out a sigh. The thought had often crossed her mind – the idea of traveling to meet new people and broaden her horizons. Even Marie had suggested the same thing. After all, that's how Marie had met Elajio. However, Ann always found herself putting off taking that step. She enjoyed her simple life here. This place had everything she needed – a job she loved and a roof over her head. Why would she ever need more?