Chapter 10. A Dance with The Dragon

Despite Ann's efforts, Theo avoided making eye contact with her throughout dinner. She sat across from him at the table, absentmindedly sipping cold water from her glass and not paying too much attention to the ongoing conversation.

In the background, Marie was sharing her story of how she met Elajio. Ann had heard this story multiple times before, and each time Marie added new details, making it sound more like a fairytale. In reality, Marie had faced serious trouble with her student loan, and Elajio had helped her as a lawyer. Now, the two of them were happily married.

"Is everything okay?" John asked Ann, causing her to shift her gaze away from Theo.

"What?" she asked, slowly returning from her daydream. "Oh, yeah. I'm fine."

"You've barely touched your food," he pointed out, gesturing towards her plate.

Ann twirled her fork, scooping up more pasta and bringing it to her mouth. The dish was delicious, and Elajio was a talented cook. Despite her lack of appetite, she decided to finish her meal out of respect for his efforts.

Marie gave Ann a cheerful look. "Annie has a story, too."

Swallowing her food, Ann tried to recall the conversation. "What do you mean?"

John leaned in close to her ear, whispering a hint. "Mar just talked about her journey as a student. Now it's your turn to share."

Ann shifted her gaze to Theo, but he remained fixated on his brandy glass. Nevertheless, she continued speaking, addressing him. "Once, Marie and I both dreamed of becoming famous artists. However, I chose a different path."

"I never achieved the level of success I had imagined," Marie admitted, once again drawing all attention to herself. "Despite taking expensive art classes in the capital, fame eluded me. But I still consider it a success."

"Why?" Theo wondered, studying Marie with his attentive blue eyes. He acted as if Ann didn't exist, which was frustrating.

Marie affectionately patted Elajio's shoulder. "Because when I was a student, I met the love of my life."

Theo gave her a suspicious look. "But you must still have a loan to repay, right?"

"Guilty," Marie jokingly raised her hands. "But maybe one day I'll teach art, just like our Ann."

"You don't need to work, dear," Elajio said in a calming voice. However, his words caused Marie to frown. "I'll take care of everything for us. After all, I'm a lawyer and can provide for us."

"That's something interesting about all of you," Theo remarked, his gaze shifting around the men, deliberately avoiding eye contact with Ann. "Most people usually seek a better life and leave small towns to chase big dreams. But you all chose the opposite."

"Well, with Calling crystals, remote work has become possible," John explained.

Calling crystals were a recent invention, but they quickly gained popularity. These minerals, infused with a unique spell, could connect two people despite vast distances, allowing them to communicate. Ann didn't have such a crystal, but she dreamed of getting one when they became available at the local store.

"What about you, Theo?" John asked. "Since you grew up in the capital, you had the opportunity to work there."

"Well, that was the original plan. But when I got Rei, things changed."

"Rei is his dragon," Marie clarified, bringing clarity to the conversation and piquing curiosity. The men had yet to meet Rei.

Theo continued, "I wasn't allowed to keep him close to the Guardian Academy, and I had no knowledge or opportunities to train him. Rei was raised on a farm in Triville, a small town surrounded by hills and forests he could freely explore." His eyes briefly filled with sadness. "I missed Rei, so I first took a summer practice in Triville. Then, after graduation, I decided to stay. I think life in a small town had its own special charm."