Chapter 17. A Little Lie

Theo found himself in the kitchen of the main house, seated at the servants' table. In his hands, he cradled a teacup that Peggy had kindly handed him upon his arrival. Since he had to wait for Ann anyway, he gratefully accepted the warm beverage. Now, with Peggy gone, he was left alone with his thoughts. Despite a day spent searching, he had returned to square one without any real suspects. Taking a sip, he inhaled the soothing scent of mint, hoping that the drink would at least calm his nerves.

Suddenly, his Calling crystal vibrated, causing Theo to flinch. Startled, he accidentally spilled his drink on his clothes and dropped the cup, which shattered upon impact with the marble floor. "Damn it!" he exclaimed in frustration.

"Glad to see you, too," a voice from the crystal chimed in teasingly. It was Urchin.

Theo stepped away from the sharp porcelain shards. He must have inadvertently touched the crystal, accepting the call, which meant that Urchin had heard him cursing. "Sorry. I've made quite a mess here."

"Oh, you so do!"

Theo frowned. "How do you know?"

"Alright, I have no idea what you're talking about, so let's get straight to business," Urchin declared, clearing his throat before delivering his message. "Your friend John just called me to complain about you."

"He isn't my friend."

"And that's the least important detail," Urchin pointed out. "The crucial part is that he complained about you. Do you understand?"

Theo's confusion deepened. "Complained about what?"

"Well... According to him, you arrived in town and seduced Ann, who happens to be the heir of a victim," Urchin explained, pausing for a moment. "Please tell me this isn't true."

"I didn't seduce her!" Theo gasped. This John was proving to be quite cunning. Perhaps Theo should reconsider him as a potential suspect if only he could find a motive.

"Then why did he claim to have seen you in her bedroom? I'll cite it, 'with the bath towel that only covered his intimate parts.'" Urchin's voice grew angrier. "What the hell is going on there?"

"It was just a misunderstanding. I'm staying at Ann's guest house, and –"

"Before you continue," Urchin interrupted, "please tell me that you didn't see each other naked."

Theo hesitated for a moment. "I would say it's only half true."

"Which half?" Urchin inquired. Then, he apparently realized his role as a guardian and quickly corrected himself. "Actually, I don't want to know. Just tell me how the investigation is going."

As Theo opened the cabinet doors in search of towels or napkins to clean up his spilled tea, he found them filled with stacks of porcelain plates and cups. Disappointed, he let out a sigh. "This is what I'm dealing with. Unfortunately, Marie has been cleared."

"So, you've run out of suspects."

"I'm aware, alright?" Theo snapped, closing the cabinet doors with frustration. "But I still have some time, so I would appreciate it if you didn't stress me out!"

Urchin paused, allowing Theo a moment to calm down and collect himself. "In case you've forgotten, this case isn't even officially open. As a guardian who has received a complaint, I must react and ask you to drop this investigation."

"If you do that, consider our bet canceled," Theo warned him.

Urchin let out a sigh. "I can hold onto this complaint for another twenty-four hours before taking further action. But that's the extent of my leniency. Theo, if you're finished with this investigation, just let it go and return before we both get into trouble!"

"I have twenty-four hours, and I intend to use every minute. And I'll be careful, I promise."

"Fine. I hope you know what you're doing. Because if you don't –"

"I said I'll behave," Theo nearly yelled, his nerves stretched thin.

"Good luck," Urchin said before abruptly ending the call.

Theo rubbed his forehead. Although his clothes had dried from his earlier mishap, and the tea stains were no longer visible on his black uniform shirt, the lingering scent of mint still clung to him. The aroma provided some semblance of calm amidst the chaos. Seeking further solace, he made his way to the medicine cabinet with its glass doors and opened it in search of something soothing.

However, his eyes fixated on a bottle labeled 'Snake Bites Antidote.' He blinked several times in disbelief. The lid was unsealed, and there was evidence of it being used, judging by the amount of liquid remaining inside.

If his memory served him correctly, the official death report stated that 'Gregory Storm passed away due to not receiving his antidote in time.' This discovery presented two possibilities – either the bottle had been purchased and used after Gregory's death, or someone in this town had lied.

Theo grabbed the antidote and turned on his heels. As he did, he found Peggy standing at the threshold, her hands pressed against her chest in surprise. Her gaze shifted from the puddle on the floor, where the glimmering shards of a broken teacup lay, to Theo.

"What happened here?" she asked.

"You tell me," Theo confronted her. "This bottle... Did you recently purchase it?"

Peggy shook her head. "No, it's been here since last year."

"Why then was it not given to Gregory?"

Her jaw dropped, and she stared at him in stunned silence.

Theo took a deep breath, attempting to gather his patience as he explained his point. "Peggy, do you realize that this very bottle could have saved Gregory's life? Why didn't you bring it to him?"

Peggy's eyes glistened with tears as she struggled to find her words. "Because Ann took it," she finally admitted, her voice trembling. "I mean... Not intentionally. It was an accident."

"She took it just before the snake accident?"

Peggy nodded, tears streaming down her face as she wiped them away with her apron. "Yes, that day Ann went for a ride with John and the others, and she took it. She felt so guilty afterward! Please, don't punish her."

The word 'punish' echoed in Theo's mind. Ann wasn't a child who had stolen a jar of jam from the pantry. This was a serious matter, a crime. She had never disclosed this crucial information to Theo, and it made him wonder what else she might be hiding.

The door swung open once again, revealing Ann standing at the threshold. Clad in her green riding dress, with a tight corsage accentuating her slender figure, she exuded an air of allure. She appeared like a femme fatale, a perfect villain who had skillfully deceived him.

"Ready?" Ann asked, her horsetail twisting behind her.

Before she could notice the bottle in his hands, Theo swiftly returned it to the cabinet and closed the doors. "Sure. Let's get it over with."

~ • ~ ☆ ~ • ~ ☆ ~ • ~ ☆ ~ • ~

If you enjoy this story, please support it with your vote!

Thank you! 💖💖💖