Chapter 25. Unbreakable Vows

Ann sat at her cosmetic table, gazing at her pale reflection in the mirror. Clad in a white wedding dress with an open decollete and long gloves, she resembled more of a ghost than a bride. The upper part of her hair was elegantly braided and rolled around her head. Marie fussed around her, adding white flowers to her intricate hairdo.

Seizing the moment when Marie looked away, Ann discreetly adjusted her glove, ensuring that the Calling crystal Theo had given her still adorned her wrist. Ever since they had parted ways, he faithfully called her every evening to ensure her well-being. Despite the difficulty of pretending to be content with John, she managed to navigate the situation with success.

To her relief, John took charge of most of the wedding preparations. He sought out Ann immediately after she returned from the stables and retreated to her bedroom. While he presented his arguments about why she was better off without Theo, Ann simply nodded in agreement, grateful that she didn't have to put in much effort. She apologized for her impulsive rejection of John and confessed her willingness to build a family with a man who 'would never hurt her.' John, seizing the opportunity, eagerly embraced her words.

In just a week, the house renovations were completed, and a small wedding ceremony was organized in the garden. They only invited their closest friends and Peggy, resulting in a mere three guests. Ann explained that she desired an intimate ceremony surrounded by loved ones, and John readily accepted her explanation.

"Darling, you need to start smiling," Marie chimed in, pulling Ann out of her reverie. She delicately added another lily to Ann's braid, completing her look.

"I'll smile when it's all over."

Marie shook her head in frustration and settled into a chair beside Ann. "It's difficult to see you like this."

"Like what?"

"Like you're about to sacrifice yourself," Marie spat. "I don't understand why you won't talk to me about this sudden decision. Because whatever it is, you can trust me."

Ann lowered her gaze to her lap, her fingers fidgeting. "You worry too much. This ceremony is the right choice."

"You got back together with John right after that deceitful guardian abandoned you! And it's not 'alright' at all."

"Why not?"

"Because you can't simply replace Theo with another man. It's unfair to John." Marie's voice trembled, her ragged breath betraying her emotional state. Tears threatened to spill from her eyes.

Keeping her best friend in the dark was a difficult task, but Ann had no other choice. Marie had a tendency to be talkative, and the risk of her accidentally revealing the truth was too great. However, Ann had to try to calm her friend's concerns.

"Mar, I'm not trying to replace anyone. I swear to the Divine that Theo helped me see the reality of my situation. Never before have I been so certain about who I should choose as my partner." Ann had repeated this explanation numerous times, hoping that Marie would truly understand her intentions. And perhaps, in some small way, these words did bring some solace.

"Fine," Marie exhaled. She reached into her purse and retrieved a small, dark-brown glass bottle. The liquid inside shimmered in the sunlight. "At least, take this."

Ann chuckled, recognizing the bottle. "Is that your troublesome drops?"

Marie's expression remained serious. She placed the bottle into Ann's open palm. "Promise me that you'll take five drops tonight before going to bed. Then, starting from your next moon cycle, take two drops daily."