Chapter 26. Do Us Part

Ann sat on her bed, crumpling the pillow in her lap. She understood why Urchin, the other guardian, had intentionally mixed up his text – to provoke a reaction from John. Despite the risks involved, everyone had played their roles perfectly. Now, it was Ann's turn to elicit the truth from him.

This was the moment she had prepared for meticulously. After spending hours researching in the library, she came across an article about how doctors should communicate with individuals suffering from mania disorders. It pained her to see John in this state, but she knew he was unwell, and this was the only way to help him.

John stood by the window, silently observing the backyard. Ann couldn't contain her impatience any longer. "What are you waiting for?" she asked.

He turned towards her, his eyes gleaming as they fixated on her sitting on the bed.

Trying not to shiver, Ann pulled her pillow up higher to conceal her décolletage. "Please, talk to me. What happened?"

Restless, he paced around the room. "I just panicked, okay?"

"Why?"

"Because that idiot Theo got stuck in my throat like a fishbone! No matter what I do, I can't get rid of him!"

"I understand." For the sake of the success of their mission, Ann had to play her part flawlessly, agreeing with everything he said. "I'm truly sorry about what happened. It was incredibly embarrassing for both of us."

"Are you really sorry?"

She mustered her best remorseful look. "Oh, my love... all I want for us is to be together."

"We will be together," he said, landing on the bed beside her.

Before his hand could touch her, Ann moved back slightly. "But we need to talk first."

His breathing quickened at her words, making her heart race in fear.

He can't hurt me, Ann reminded herself. She discreetly checked her gloves, ensuring they covered her Calling crystal flawlessly. When John had turned away to lock the door, she had taken that opportunity to contact Theo. Now, their connection served as a lifeline, connecting her to safety.

Placing her hand on his trembling one, Ann could sense the immense struggle he faced. However, she couldn't allow his unease to make her feel guilty any longer. "You don't need to worry anymore. I trust you, no matter what."

"I don't believe it."

"Then why would I agree to marry you?"

"Because of Theo." He scoffed, a bitter tone in his voice. "He broke your heart, and you're just using me to fill that void."

Ann swallowed hard. John was skilled at crafting plausible explanations. He had a knack for manipulating others, making them feel exactly as he desired. Unfortunately, he seemed oblivious to his own flaws.

"Okay," Ann began, her voice steady. "I want to be completely honest with you. You're right – I was deeply hurt and disappointed when Theo left me. But as time went on, I started to appreciate you more and more. John, you are the man who has done everything to be with me. You've risked your life for me, and I was too blind to see it before." It was the truth, albeit twisted to fit her narrative. She meant every word, but it also encompassed all the crimes he had committed to draw her closer.

"So, you trust me?" he asked, clinging to her words.

"Of course," Ann replied softly, trying to maintain her composure.

His eyes searched hers, seeking further reassurance. "Can you prove it?"

Ann blinked, momentarily at a loss for words. Proving herself was the last thing she had anticipated when preparing for this mission. Now, she had to think quickly and creatively to avoid jeopardizing everything they had worked for.