Chapter 11. Disappearing in the Night

It was late in the evening when Theo strolled along the road with Ann by his side. The cozy summer night enveloped them in a quiet stillness. The tree barks shimmered a vibrant green like emeralds, casting an ethereal glow on their path. The only witnesses to their strange acquaintance were the blinking stars above.

Throughout the evening, Theo had been observing Ann closely, and he found himself utterly puzzled by her behavior. During the initial round of meals, she had fidgeted in her chair, sending him warm smiles. However, once John had left, Ann seemed to lose interest in him. Was this all part of some game she was playing?

If it were true that Ann was a murderer, perhaps she was using him to make her fiancé-to-be, John, jealous. Typically, jealous individuals behave in a hostile manner, drawing attention to themselves and diverting suspicion from the main suspect. However, this theory presented a problem – Ann appeared nothing like a criminal, shattering Theo's original idea into countless shards. From that moment on, he resolved to be cautious around her until he could gain more clarity in his investigation.

Suddenly, Ann tugged at his elbow, causing him to flinch. "Are you hunting me?"

He gave her a perplexed look. "What do you mean?"

"You appeared completely oblivious at the beginning of dinner, and then you suddenly changed. If this is some sort of game you're playing, it won't work on me."

Theo let out a breath, relieved that Ann had decided to be direct with him. It made everything easier to navigate. "I'll be honest, Ann. I've been drawn to you since the moment I laid eyes on you."

Surprise flickered in her eyes, but she remained silent, giving him an opportunity to elaborate.

"But you're engaged," he continued. "John truly loves you, and I don't want to stand in his way."

"How noble," she remarked, her tone laced with a hint of sarcasm. "Are you always this straightforward?"

He smiled proudly. "I see nothing wrong with being direct. It helps me avoid overthinking, and it's vital for my line of work."

"Then, detective, I'll speak frankly as well," she declared.

Theo nodded, encouraging her to continue. "Fair enough. I'm all ears."

"I liked you too," she spat. "A lot. You made my heart beat again."

"It wasn't beating before?" He attempted to joke.

However, Ann didn't find his remark amusing. She simply shook her head, a sorrow evident on her face. "I guess I was dead inside. After all the tragedies in my life... Sometimes I feel like I'm the cause of everything bad happening to the people I love, and this knowledge is slowly killing me."

His heart ached at her words. If Ann was merely playing a role, she was an exceptional actress. On the other hand, if she was being genuine, she was the most sincere person he had ever encountered. This contradiction within her left him feeling unsettled. Theo knew he had to take action regarding her, and it was crucial to act swiftly before she found a way to break down the barrier he had erected between his personal and professional lives.

"I suppose I just got things mixed up," she admitted, her pretty eyes shimmering in the green light of nature. "I was stumbling in the dark, trying to convince everyone around me that it was a crime. And then you came along and brought me hope. For a moment, I thought I could finally stop fighting. I think that's why I liked you so much. But you, Theo, you're a guardian. The one who ensures justice is served no matter what."

The reminder struck a chord within Theo. Yes, he was a guardian committed to upholding justice. Yet, despite his suspicions, being by Ann's side was undeniably pleasurable. It was as if her charm had cast a spell on him, blurring his judgment. "Then let's not forget who we are," he suggested.