Chapter 13. A Hunt

On top of the hill, the wind blew fiercely. Theo sat on the edge of the cliff, his gaze fixed on Rei. During their regular morning flights together, Rei would reconnect with nature, soaring high above the mountains with his wings outstretched. Patiently, he circled the sky, his eyes scanning for prey or wild mammals. After observing them for several minutes, Rei would predict their escape trajectory and swiftly descend, engulfing them in a fiery trap.

Today, however, Theo had a different objective. He needed to manipulate his suspects into making mistakes and ultimately trap them. He had discovered the perfect location to bring Ann, a place that would captivate her. From this cliff, a breathtaking view of the mountaintops unfolded before them. Waterfalls cascaded down the rocks, creating shimmering splashes of water that danced with countless rainbows. The scenery exuded a romantic aura, undoubtedly an ideal setting for Theo's plan. Here, he hoped Ann would feel more at ease, perhaps even confessing her crimes.

Last night, Theo couldn't help but notice how Ann averted her eyes when he asked if she was a murderer. Deep down, he hoped she was innocent, but as a detective, he had a duty to investigate her.

The Calling crystal in his hand began to vibrate, drawing his attention. The dark-green Light inside indicated that it was his friend from Middle Lake. Clearing his throat, Theo slid his index finger along the crystal's surface, accepting the call.

"Hey, Urch! I hope you have some good news for me," Theo greeted him.

"Well, that depends on what you consider as good."

"Any information would be helpful," Theo said. Yesterday, he had visited the local Guardian station and thoroughly examined the case file. Unfortunately, he found nothing of use. The local guardians had merely attached a doctor's report stating that Gregory Storm had died from a poisonous snake bite, causing his heart to stop. There were no witness statements or crime scene observations. Frustrated, Theo had decided to reach out to Urchin and ask him to investigate all four suspects, hoping to gain a broader perspective on the case.

Having contacted Urchin prior to his dinner with Annie and her friends, Theo received a response from him at seven in the morning. It came as no surprise, as Urchin was known for his efficiency and swift work, unlike the local guardians.

"You do remember we still have a bet, right?" Urchin reminded him. "My assistance now is helping you win it."

Theo let out a sigh. "What do you want in exchange for your research services?"

Urchin chuckled. "Let's agree that you'll buy me an extra bottle of that luxury whiskey."

Theo gritted his teeth. The stakes were increasing, and he could only hope he wouldn't lose the bet. "Fine. But the information better be valuable."

"And it is," Urchin confirmed. "Alright, let's start with Ann Storm, our main suspect."

The mention of Annie made Theo's heart race. He desperately hoped that Urchin hadn't found anything incriminating about her. "Go ahead."

"Well, firstly, I checked our archives for any records of law-breaking, and I found nothing on Ann. It appears she has never done anything against the law." Urchin paused. "Or she was never caught."

"What about the notary documents?"

"According to the records, her parents passed away some time ago. Her father died from pneumonia, and her mother was involved in an accident in the mountains."

"In the mountains? What happened?"

"It seems the trail was slippery, and she fell from a cliff," Urchin explained.