Chapter 7. A Drawn Suspect

Ann sat beneath the shade of an ancient oak tree. This serene spot in a local park was her sanctuary, where she could immerse herself in her sketch album and find solace in her creativity. However, today her mind was clouded, devoid of inspiration. Despite her lack of motivation, she had come here with the determination to complete her drawing.

Her pencil glided across the smooth paper, gradually unveiling the intricate details of a snake. Its ebony body coiled in sinuous rings, poised to strike at any moment. The snake appeared taut, like a tightly wound string, ready to unleash its venomous attack. Ann carefully selected a yellow pencil to accentuate the snake's underbelly and the area surrounding its menacing mouth.

"Please, Ann, leave that snake alone!" Marie's voice, filled with concern, startled Ann. She closed her album with a gentle thud, placing it on her lap, yet her creative energy still pulsed within her. The snake's depiction also included a long, black tongue, forked at its tip. She must have added it to her drawing once Marie left her alone.

"Annie?" Marie's touch on her shoulder jolted Ann from her state of desolation.

"Yes?" Ann blinked, struggling to regain focus.

"Please, talk to me," Marie implored, her face etched with concern. "I'm genuinely worried about your mental well-being. You can't spend days here, engrossed in drawing these repulsive creatures."

"Why not?" Ann's voice quivered, on the verge of tears. "It's all I can do when no one else is investigating this murder!"

"Oh, sweetie..." Marie's voice softened. "Our guardians have thoroughly examined everything, and they concluded it was simply an unfortunate accident. Why can't you trust their judgment?"

"Because something is amiss here," Ann gasped. "This snake... I checked our library, and we don't have venomous snakes like this in our region."

Marie's eyes narrowed. "Are you absolutely certain? I mean... you were in shock, and your mind could have played tricks on you. Perhaps you imagined certain details."

Ann scoffed. She had meticulously observed every detail of the creature that had claimed her uncle's life. In the aftermath of the tragedy, John had taken the snake and confined it within a glass aquarium, ensuring it posed no further threat to the household. Throughout the night, Ann found herself fixated on the snake, pondering its origins and the circumstances that led to her uncle's demise. Regrettably, John disposed of the snake the following day, leaving Ann with unanswered questions.

"I saw what I saw!" Ann asserted. "And if my instincts are correct, someone brought that snake to our house intentionally."

"But why?" Marie's charcoal eyes widened in confusion. "No one had a motive to kill Uncle Greg. He was a good man."

"I don't know, Marie." Ann's face sank into her hands, a grief overwhelming her. It felt as though waves of sorrow crashed over her, extinguishing her inner light and making each breath a struggle. Her voice trembled with exhaustion. "I don't know... And it seems like no one else cares."

Marie reached out to comfort her, attempting to stroke her hand, but Ann pulled away abruptly. As she stood up, her album slipped from her grasp, scattering sketches across the grass.

"Why hasn't anyone investigated this case?" Ann asked in an exhausted voice. "I sent letters to all the major Guardian Houses in our Kingdom!"

As Ann lifted her gaze to the branches of the oak tree, its round leaves seemed to quiver in response. She sighed, realizing that no answer would come. It had been two long months since that fateful day, and she had received no substantial response from anyone.